Two Chiefs Trail Hike Updates/Clarifications

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
zoogelsnof

Two Chiefs Trail Hike Updates/Clarifications

Post by zoogelsnof » July 18th, 2015, 6:56 pm

1) Not sure if it's something we post on trail guides, but although the total elevation change listed matched Gaia GPS (1,200 feet) the total elevation gain (including down-and-back-up) was about 1600 feet.

2) This paragraph could use some significant clarification -

"After almost a mile, you'll come to a potentially confusing set of trail junctions. The first trail, a single track to the right) is the Dick Thomas Trail, which starts at the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort. A few feet beyond this first junction, the Aldrich Butte Trail turns hard to the left and another, even older road heads north. This is the Two Chiefs Trail, also known as the Greenleaf Falls Trail, and marked on most maps as Moffit Springs Road. Head north and you'll soon loop around Carpenter Lake heading east. The trail heads up a small valley that's filled with little streams and skunk cabbage in the spring. About a mile up this trail you'll cross the Pacific Crest Trail."

I would rewrite it as -

"After almost a mile you'll come to a potentially confusing set of trail junctions.

First you may see a small trail entrance on your right. It's easy to miss, but this is the Dick Thomas Trail, which starts at the Bonneville Hot Springs resort.

After passing this small trail intersection, you will quickly come to a large "Y" split in the trail. The left fork will take you down the Aldrich Butte Trail. The right fork will allow you to continue on the Two Chiefs Trail (also known as the Greenleaf Falls Trail, and marked on most maps as Moffit Springs Road.) Continue on this road and you'll soon loop around Carpenter Lake heading east. The trail heads up a small valley that, in spring, fills with little streams and skunk cabbage. About a mile up this trail you'll cross the Pacific Crest Trail."

3) Finally, I would add a "1)" and a "2)" before both of the listed "extra options" at the bottom. It took me a few reads to realize they were describing two different potential options.

retired jerry

Re: Two Chiefs Trail Hike Updates/Clarifications

Post by retired jerry » July 18th, 2015, 7:22 pm

I can fix that, thanks

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 18th, 2015, 7:34 pm

Okay, how's that?

For your third suggestion, you didn't give me specific instructions so I guessed :)

I don't think I've done that hike, although I have gone from the dam to Gillette Lake and so forth - isn't that the PCT?, and I've driven to the resort but didn't know where the trail was - pre field guide

zoogelsnof

Post by zoogelsnof » July 20th, 2015, 11:56 am

Perfect, thats exactly what I envisioned.

Thanks!