Copying Field Guide Info

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
PeakGrant

Copying Field Guide Info

Post by PeakGrant » May 20th, 2015, 8:54 am

Hi, I've tried several emails on this issue and none of them have responded (and a few didn't even work). I've managed to find a board member's phone number through a quick google search, but I'd really prefer not to bother somebody on their personal line about something like this.

Anyways, my boss wants me to put directions/maps/info for some interesting area hikes on the back of what is basically an advertising post card, and I wanted to get that info from the trail guide. How can I get permission to copy the information from the guide, and what kind of citation would you we use?

Bosterson

Re: Copying Field Guide Info

Post by Bosterson » May 20th, 2015, 1:23 pm

If you literally will need to copy information verbatim (including maps and/or images) from the Field Guide, we will probably need more information about what you intend to do (especially since it sounds like it's for a commercial purpose - advertising?) in order to navigate copyright restrictions and permissions.

However. The details of a hike are not copyrighted, just public knowledge. Just like how you can't copy and paste someone else's recipe text, but you can rewrite the recipe yourself using the same amounts, I would suggest that the easiest way for you to do what you intend is to take rough details (trailheads, distances, elevations, etc.) and use them to make your postcards from scratch. For maps, there are plenty of free mapping applications you can use, and many of them allow you to draw lines where the "trail" goes. Since it seems like you'll be needing to do some graphical work anyway to put those postcards together, I think using commonly available info to do it yourself is the best option.

Let us know if you need anything else. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased