Trail to cedar flats

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
Don

Trail to cedar flats

Post by Don » November 28th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Last weekend my daughter and I hiked to Jaw Bone, crossed Opal Creek and headed further out along the trial to go to Cedar Flats. About 1/3 miles from Opal Pool the trail ended where the bridge used to be! Can you still hike to Cedar a Flats? If so, where is the trail? Thank you!

retired jerry

Re: Trail to cedar flats

Post by retired jerry » November 28th, 2014, 8:27 pm

was there snow?

Don

Post by Don » November 28th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Very warm. Not even close to snow.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 29th, 2014, 8:31 am

This is the most recent trip report to that area: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=20087

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » November 29th, 2014, 10:26 am

My brother and I did this earlier this summer and we ended up going to the old cedar flats crossing area, fording the creek and climbing over a lot of blow down on the way up the old trail. I think it may be accessible from jawbone staying on that side of the creek the whole time now. There seemed to be a nicer trail that the old debris covered trail ran into just up hill on that eastern side of the creek. It seemed to continue back towards jawbone.
Dan

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » November 29th, 2014, 10:40 am

The Field Guide definitely needs updating! There's a new trail which does not cross Opal creek where that bridge used to be but stays on the same side of the creek all the way. I haven't done this yet but have been checking descriptions in hopes of going back (I was last there while the old bridge was still good). Here's a report on the new trail from early 2014: http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... ts&start=0

bobcat

Post by bobcat » December 4th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Matt Reeder put in a note about the bridge outage and I have added another note just to warn that the current route is not as described. I'll rewrite the Field Guide entry if/when I go back there.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » December 4th, 2014, 10:43 pm

I was there in June and can confirm: from the bridge that crosses the creek right above Opal Pool, the trail stays on the east bank all the way to Cedar Flats, passing Flume Creek Falls along the way. There's no trace of the old bridge anymore.

I'll leave it to someone else to revamp the full description, but for now, I added an updated map to the page.