Green Point Mountain Loop Hike

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
nkrader

Green Point Mountain Loop Hike

Post by nkrader » October 25th, 2014, 5:40 pm

went up there today, apparently its a seasonal road?

got about 2 miles from the trail head there are big rock burms blocking cars from going any closer, a big ole lifted jeep said they made it over the first one but there was another one they couldnt get over so they parked next to the road where big lifted trucks will fit but our car couldnt go over there. they were spending the weekend up there so the added two miles didnt effect them.

just a heads up to anyone wanting to do this trail.

lame, this was the trail I was planning on doing today drove all the way out there to find that i couldnt even get to it, and i didnt have enough time to do the +2 miles of walking on the road to get to the trail so had to scrap the whole day..

bobcat

Re: Green Point Mountain Loop Hike

Post by bobcat » October 30th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Hmmm . . . so this is something new. Has anyone else been up there in the past couple of weeks? There were a couple of trip reports from early this month or in September that didn't mention any problems on this road.

"Bermed" is not seasonal, it means permanently closed - unless they've decided to put in water bars (but not berms). Some water bars can gut passenger cars, others are of the mild variety.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who's been up FR 2820 (Wahtum Lake Road) this month.

mcds

Post by mcds » October 30th, 2014, 6:43 pm

2820 is Dead Point Rd, no?

The OP does not contain enough specifics like trail names or road names for me to figure out for sure just where nk was. Could have been lost.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » November 2nd, 2014, 5:22 pm

Yes, Old Wahtum Lake Road = Dead Point Road.

The road accesses campgrounds and popular spots like Rainy Lake and Black Lake as well as several trailheads (Defiance-Bear Lake, North Lake, Greenpoint Mt., etc.). It doesn't make sense that they would berm it or even put in water bars. Maybe a wrong turn happened . . .

I think the Field Guide directions are O.K. since many others have used them without a hitch, but it's really essential that you carry your own maps, etc., in case you end up on the wrong track and need to backtrack.

jamesthehiker

Post by jamesthehiker » November 2nd, 2014, 8:13 pm

I was up at Rainy Lake Campground about 3 or 4 weeks ago and they were still maintaining the sites. The directions in the field guide are very good once at the forest service road, but for some reason I always get lost using the directions from Parkdell to the forest service road. I'm sure it is user error, ha, ha. The roads headed up there are a bit rough when dry so I'm wondering if the rain made it feel like it was closed or it may have been a wrong turn like mentioned. Since we have had some good rains I'm sure there are some mini lakes in the middle of that road now.

ebishop

Post by ebishop » November 3rd, 2014, 8:17 pm

Heh I always assumed people just hiked there from herman creek or defiance. ;)