Small typo (and addition) - Aldrich Butte Trailhead

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
romann

Small typo (and addition) - Aldrich Butte Trailhead

Post by romann » November 24th, 2008, 9:33 pm

Hi,
This is my first post, and just because I hiked from this trailhead 2 times I spotted a small typo that can confuse a first-timer:

In the 4th, final paragraph of Descriprtion, it is reading "This trailhead is actually much more popular with people climbing Table Mountain THAN Aldrich Butte". THAN needs to be changed to AND, as Aldrich Butte is a destination and one cannot reach it by car, that's how it makes sense to me.

Also, the description of the Aldrich Trailhead page (Driving Directions section) omits that the road forks 2 times just before the trailhead. I underlined my addition that you could use (maybe in your words:-)

"Instead, continue another .3 of a mile to what looks like an obvious parking area. Again, this is a popular stopping point, but we'll have you continue on what now looks like a private drive as it crosses Carpenter Creek and becomes a one-lane unpaved road. Cross the small bridge over Carpenter Creek and turn right on the first powerline access road. Some vehicles will need to park right here, but people with a lot of road clearance might be able to proceed a bit farther. After you turn at powerline access road, it will fork in about 150 yards - take the left road that seems a bit narrower. Then, when you enter the woods (in another 150 yards or so) you will see another fork, this time keep right as this road leads up to Table Mountain and Aldrich Butte.

That's it, I like your site and will try to contribute my pistures as soon as I get time to take them :twisted:
The page address:
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead

Stevefromdodge

Re: Small typo (and addition) - Aldrich Butte Trailhead

Post by Stevefromdodge » November 24th, 2008, 10:07 pm

Hi romann and thanks for taking the time to comment on the Field Guide. I hope it has been helpful.

I'll come up with something to address that first issue.

On the second one,
romann wrote: After you turn at powerline access road, it will fork in about 150 yards - take the left road that seems a bit narrower. Then, when you enter the woods (in another 150 yards or so) you will see another fork, this time keep right as this road leads up to Table Mountain and Aldrich Butte.
I'm not quite figuring out what you're referring to here. There's a fork at the Aldrich Butte Trailhead, but it's only about 20-30 yards from the road. That's where most people need to park. From there it's a short walk, maybe 100 feet into the woods and the road is impassable to vehicles before you get to the woods.

I'm wondering if we were at the same place...

romann

Post by romann » November 24th, 2008, 11:50 pm

Yes, we're at the same place on the second point. What I think is the first fork I mentioned may be important because people should take a turn left to smaller road (I got ~150 yards between turns from Google Earth "ruler" tool, but in any way it's a short distance). The second fork is not as important as 1st - people need just stay on larger road. Though the descriptions must be short and simple, maybe I'm just complicating it : - )
.............................................//
................................W o \....// o d s
........................................\//
................................P o w || e r l i n e s
........................................||...///
.........................................\\ ///
..........................................///
-----------------------------|||-----------------
........(s....h....e....l...l...y......l....a...n...e......r..d.)
--------------------------------------------------

Peder

Post by Peder » November 26th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Romann is correct; his underlined description very accurately describes the trail (or drive) from when you leave Shelly Lane Road. There is parking at the junction between Shelly Lane Road and the power line access road. The power line access road is the one going off between the two cars:

50 yards from here, up the road, is a single parking spot that is used as illustration in the Field Guide (“The "Aldrich Butte Trailhead" described here”):

100 yards further up there is more parking, (the overflow parking?), hereafter the road is only suited high clearance vehicles and there are not many parking spots further up. This “overflow parking” is the junction where “it will fork in about 150 yards - take the left road that seems a bit narrower.” The picture is taken looking back from the narrower road that leads toward Andrich Butte and Table Mountain.

A more general comment: In the driving directions, the mileages seem a little off: The turn-off to Hot Springs Road is about 3 miles (not 2 miles) west of the Bridge of the Gods on State Hwy 14, at about milepost 38.5. From here it is 1.8 miles till you cross the Carpenter Creek and 0.1 mile further on, there is the junction with the power line access road. At this junction there is parking space for about 5 cars (see my first picture).

And, oh yes, the views were fantastic today on Table Mountain!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » November 27th, 2008, 8:10 am

I've updated the Aldrich Butte Hike and Aldrich Butte Trailhead.

Let me know if it's better now.

I'll tweak the other hikes later.

Thanks again for helping

Steve

meana39

Post by meana39 » November 27th, 2008, 9:45 am

Peder wrote:The power line access road is the one going off between the two cars:

I wondered if anyone from here hiked there this day.....the purple car you captured is mine!! How fuinny to see it "online" today...I"m still laughing. It's my trailhead car, I never worry about leaving it to be broken into!

I'll write a trip report on my day...didn't make the top of Table but that wasn't my goal anyway.

Seeing my car was sooooo funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

romann

Post by romann » November 27th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Thanks Steve and Peder,
With Peder's new photo, and with new description, it becomes easier for first-timers to figure out the correct way up. I still remember myself last summer looking for this trailhead with 40-year old map (God how it was irrelevant!). Also, I had to visit Table mountain yesterday for my car to get online as well :mrgreen:

Peder

Post by Peder » November 27th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Steve - some minor suggestions for adjustments to your trailhead description. I propose it reads as follows:

“Follow Cascade Drive as it sweeps around the far end of Greenleaf Slough. After 1.8 miles the road seems to end at a small bridge over Carpenter Creek. Cross the bridge, continue another tenth of a mile on a gravel road and turn right on the first power line access road. Drive up the power line access road for about 150 yards to the first fork in the road. Park any where you can here, but be sure to leave the road passable to others.

I left out Shelly Lane, as I have no clue where Shelly Lane is! Also, most of “Cascade Drive” is named “Moffet - Hot Springs Road” on Goggle Maps. Google Maps calls the power line access road “Moffet - Hot Springs Road” all the way up past Carpenter Lake!

For the hike description, I would adjust the first lines in the second paragraph as follows:
"From the Aldrich Butte Trailhead, hike up the (smaller) left hand road. This road climbs a bit to the left, then heads back to the east (right) and soon enters the trees (where you ignore a small road going off to the left)."
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Stevefromdodge

Post by Stevefromdodge » November 28th, 2008, 5:54 am

Has the Shelly Lane at the bridge been removed?

fettster

Post by fettster » November 28th, 2008, 9:53 am

meana39 wrote:Seeing my car was sooooo funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hehe, yeah, LOL. Kind of like a game of "Where's Waldo?" Where's Meana? I guess Romann wins this round!