Small typo (and addition) - Aldrich Butte Trailhead

Post comments or questions about the Field Guide
jeffstatt

Re: Small typo (and addition) - Aldrich Butte Trailhead

Post by jeffstatt » December 2nd, 2008, 9:31 am

Peder wrote:Romann is correct; his underlined description very accurately describes the trail (or drive) from when you leave Shelly Lane Road. There is parking at the junction between Shelly Lane Road and the power line access road. The power line access road is the one going off between the two cars:
Thanks for trying to get this sorted out. When I wrote up the original descriptions for all this trailhead I put the location right where that first photo is.
romann wrote:In the 4th, final paragraph of Descriprtion, it is reading "This trailhead is actually much more popular with people climbing Table Mountain THAN Aldrich Butte". THAN needs to be changed to AND, as Aldrich Butte is a destination and one cannot reach it by car, that's how it makes sense to me.
In that desciption I intended the word "THAN" not "AND" - the language was intended to mean that more people use this trail as a shortcut to Table Mt than those who stop there with Aldrich Butte as their final destination. However the wording is trivial and I'm not sure why I thought that a distinction needed to be made there. Truth be told, most people park over at Bonneville Hot Springs for both!!
romann wrote:Yes, we're at the same place on the second point. What I think is the first fork I mentioned may be important because people should take a turn left to smaller road (I got ~150 yards between turns from Google Earth "ruler" tool, but in any way it's a short distance). The second fork is not as important as 1st - people need just stay on larger road. Though the descriptions must be short and simple, maybe I'm just complicating it : - )
.............................................//
................................W o \....// o d s
........................................\//
................................P o w || e r l i n e s
........................................||...///
.........................................\\ ///
..........................................///
-----------------------------|||-----------------
........(s....h....e....l...l...y......l....a...n...e......r..d.)
--------------------------------------------------
Thanks for that helpful illustration. We should put a rudimentary map like this up on the webpage. One of the confusions (besides different maps having different names for the roads!), is none of these are very obvious places to park your car. Steve and I have wordsmithed this description a few times. Overall my two main concerns are that people don't stop just before the Carpenter Creek bridge and park there, and that they don't get sidetracked down a private dirt road, the powerline road or the pipeline area (a point you illusttrated well)

So maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't like the position of the "trailhead" as described on the trailhead page now.
http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org ... _Trailhead. I'd rather have it specified right at that junction with Shelly Road - with the explanation that you could drive up further if necessary. There are a number of reasons for me thinking this.