covid vaccines currently available

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Limey

Re: covid vaccines currently available

Post by Limey » March 8th, 2021, 6:24 pm

I've been trying for weeks to get a vaccine. I don't know what the heck Hood River County is doing but it sure isn't getting people vaccinated. The people I know who have managed to get a vaccine have all got them at Safeway. I don't know one single person who has received one through a healthcare provider. Every time I check Safeway and Walgreens it either says no appointments available or no vaccine available. It is very frustrating.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Yeah, same here.
This is very frustrating. Having to check frequently with no success is bad.
I just happened to see that one opportunity.
Did you sign up with getvaccinatedoregon?
I just heard that now what they're now doing is emailing people on that list a link to make an appointment. You won't have to get lucky and happen to click at the right moment.
Or the ohsu link to portland airport that is available 9am Monday and thursday.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2021, 8:58 pm

My wife signed up for getvaccinated.oregon a few days ago

She just got an email with a link in it to make an appointment at the convention center

But were already scheduled for Friday so she'll just ignore it

Limey

Post by Limey » March 9th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Yeah Jerry, I signed up with everyone in Hood River. They all say don't call us we'll contact you.
Guess it's time to go out of the area and try Portland.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 10th, 2021, 6:28 am

"They all say don't call us we'll contact you."

In this case, this isn't a bad thing

What's bad is when they announce an opening and there's a mob of people overwhelming the system trying to get a spot

They learned. Now you sign up and give your email address. Do this at any time so there's no crowd overwhelming the website. Then, when there's an opening they email you and you sign up for specific appointment routinely. Much better system.

They keep ramping up supply and learning. Projected by April 21, 70% of adult Oregonians will have vaccine. That's about as many as are saying they will get the vaccine.

It's spring, good weather ahead :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 10th, 2021, 6:29 am

metro area down to moderate risk. Hood River at low risk.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » April 12th, 2021, 5:03 am

I managed to get the Johnson and Johnson version of the vaccine (technically called the 'Janssen' vaccine, which is what you will see listed in your appointment) last Thursday (4/8) at Walmart. I tried Safeway's / Fred Meyers / Walgreens / OHSU and Walmart a bunch of times and finally checked very early one morning and there were some open appointments that popped up at Walmart in Wood Village. So don't give up.

The troubling thing about it was when I asked the pharmacist that was giving the shot if this was a one time deal or would we all be back in here this time next year she said that no one knows at this point on any of them since they are all being release as 'emergence' vaccines with no long term testing being done so far. Guess we will see :shock: .

BurnsideBob

Post by BurnsideBob » April 12th, 2021, 7:25 am

Sorry to hear that getting the vaccine is still an issue. Most providers "dump" their appointment availabilities at specific days and times. If you are having trouble getting an appointment, find out when new appointments become available. Apply at those times.

For people in my county--Marion--the appointment time slots for the Salem Health/Oregon National Guard locations are released M W F at noon. You can sign up here: https://mychart.salemhealth.org/mychart/covid19/#/

If you go to the State Fairgrounds site you will get the Pfizer vaccine.

Good luck and get vaccinated. The evolution of new virus variants ends when the virus stops circulating.
I keep making protein shakes but they always turn out like margaritas.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 12th, 2021, 7:52 am

In a couple months things should get much better. More supply. More people already vaccinated so less demand.

If you sign up at getvaccinated.oregon.gov they'll email you with an invitation to get an appointment which is routine, no overloaded crashing website with a mob of people vying for a vaccine at the same time

kelkev

Post by kelkev » April 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I got very lucky and managed to get a vaccination of Moderna through my doctor's office. Second dose in 2 weeks!
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir