Hiking with a headlamp ideas

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
aiwetir

Hiking with a headlamp ideas

Post by aiwetir » October 26th, 2015, 8:27 pm

I'm ok hiking with a headlamp, however my wife hates it, no depth perception because the light is too close to the eyes. Putting it away from the eyes is of course the first idea that comes to mind, but where exactly would you put it?
- Michael

-Q-

Re: Hiking with a headlamp ideas

Post by -Q- » October 26th, 2015, 8:29 pm

I much prefer a flashlite to a headlamp. The little green Gerber flashlite is my favorite. That's an option.

UTurn

Post by UTurn » October 27th, 2015, 4:44 am

I like the flashlight idea and along with that, I've wrapped my headlamp strap around my wrist with the light part in the palm of my hand to direct the light where I need it.

texasbb

Post by texasbb » October 27th, 2015, 6:22 am

The best place for it is in your pack or pocket if at all possible. In many situations there is sufficient moonlight to hike without a light at all, and that is much better. Lights (head- or flash-) give you tunnel vision. Your eyes adjust to the bright spot and everything else goes black. When you hike with a light the night seems darker, there are more deep shadows in which imaginary dangers lurk, and you can't see anything but a small spot a few feet in front of you. It's not always possible--moonless nights/times, deep forest, etc.--but when you can put the light away, the night seems brighter.

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 27th, 2015, 7:52 am

I prefer no light for sure, but the wife won't do it. Once the light is on, I lose my night vision too, so I'm stuck with lights too.

I did marbled murrelet surveys for 6 years, which required following flag lines off trail / bushwhacking every morning around 3:30. I love night hiking.

I learned my lesson about carrying a light the hard way once though, ask me about the time it took 2.5 hours to hike through the short forested section of Cascade Head trail without a light under no moon.
- Michael

miah66

Post by miah66 » October 27th, 2015, 8:30 am

I sometimes wear my headlamp loose around my neck, it helps to get the light away from your eyes a bit.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 27th, 2015, 8:33 am

miah66 wrote:I sometimes wear my headlamp loose around my neck, it helps to get the light away from your eyes a bit.
I like that idea. Especially if in fog or near waterfalls, it's gotta be better than directly over your eyes.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » October 27th, 2015, 9:12 am

Today I'm going to experiment with attaching a small bicycle LED to my trekking pole.
- Michael

Charley

Post by Charley » October 27th, 2015, 4:10 pm

I just hold the headlamp down near my waist (in my swinging arm, if no trekking pole in that arm, though trekking poles really help a lot at night, when we're more likely to stumble). The lower elevation of the light then helps to illuminate the ground from the side, which highlights its topography, giving my greater depth perception.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

Zia

Post by Zia » October 27th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Last time I did a night hike, I wore mine around my waist with the light angled down a bit.