Hiking with a headlamp ideas

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
aiwetir

Re: Hiking with a headlamp ideas

Post by aiwetir » October 27th, 2015, 7:15 pm

Experimented a bit tonight. Hips height and lower works well. Tried on the pole, but it's not angled down enough, and then you have it attached to a pole waving around more than necessary. Wrapped around a finger works too if it's the right kind of light. Waist belt is ok too, but jackets cover it in the winter.

I tried the tiniest of LEDs too, so I'm on the lookout for something I can put somewhere. I'll figure out what that something is when I figure out where that somewhere is too.

Maybe I'll invent the Garterlamp™ or the Thighlamp™.
- Michael

Rather B Hiking

Post by Rather B Hiking » October 28th, 2015, 6:19 pm

Charley wrote:I just hold the headlamp down near my waist (in my swinging arm, if no trekking pole in that arm, though trekking poles really help a lot at night, when we're more likely to stumble). The lower elevation of the light then helps to illuminate the ground from the side, which highlights its topography, giving my greater depth perception.
Yes, exactly. Just think about how your shadow looks at noon on the summer solstice, and how it looks at sunrise or sunset. By holding the light lower, you create much longer shadows, and that makes it easier to see obstacles in the trail.

I like to hike late in the day, and keep going without a light for as long as possible. There is usually enough light to navigate, long after the point where I start tripping over unseen obstacles. I noticed that many PCT through hikers manage a blistering pace while using red light. I am trying to train myself to do that. A red light will not disrupt your night vision and depth perception anywhere near as much as a white light. Also, you are less visible to others on the trail, which may be a safety factor.

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » November 12th, 2015, 11:35 am

I was just going to suggest a red light. I've used that and yes, you do retain better night vision.
Kelly