Safety Check-in

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
vibramhead

Re: Safety Check-in

Post by vibramhead » July 14th, 2015, 7:54 am

rolled wrote: A good pocket map, compass, and the knowledge of how to use both will make sure no one has to come looking for you though. Study some wilderness first aid as well, no one should need rescue due to a twisted ankle.
For an example of how even the most experienced hikers can end up in trouble, this story is well worth reading. If he'd had a PLB, he'd still be alive.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 14th, 2015, 8:06 am

the only problem with email is that it isn't totally reliable. occasionally, computer doesn't work and my wife can't read email

but, the probability of me needing rescue, and email not working, at the same time, is tiny, so probably not a big deal

miah66

Post by miah66 » July 14th, 2015, 8:38 am

vibramhead wrote:
rolled wrote: A good pocket map, compass, and the knowledge of how to use both will make sure no one has to come looking for you though. Study some wilderness first aid as well, no one should need rescue due to a twisted ankle.
For an example of how even the most experienced hikers can end up in trouble, this story is well worth reading. If he'd had a PLB, he'd still be alive.
That's an incredible read.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 14th, 2015, 9:34 am

Wow!

Lots of answers, didn't expect that. Lots of things I didn't think about either.
- Michael

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 14th, 2015, 10:07 am

Koda wrote:I email my wife my itinerary with the idea she forwards that email to SAR team if I don't make it back.
Ditto that.
Koda wrote:I like the idea of adding a photo of my boot print to the email thread.
Wouldn't likely do me much good. I have a half-dozen different pairs bouncing around the back of the jeep, and often don't decide which to wear until I hit the trailhead. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 14th, 2015, 10:24 am

That has to be one of the most heartbreaking stories I've ever read. :cry:

I will say that from a personal standpoint, when I hike solo, I always provide my wife with my route and possible deviations, along with the return time, panic time, etc. When she and I hike together, I guess we have gotten lazy about informing people about where we are going and what we are doing. I will do better with that from now on. We have a PLB but I don't ever want to have to use it. I like the email itinerary idea and will utilize that from now on as well.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown

greenjello85

Post by greenjello85 » July 14th, 2015, 10:34 pm

I usually just drop M&M's along my way so S & R will have no trouble tracking me :)

When that fails, I let my wife know where I'm heading, when I expect to return, when to call for help, and I have my cell phone on me. On most ridges and peaks in western oregon I get reception. The GPS feature seems to work everywhere I've tried it. Does anyone know if phones are trackable through GPS by S & R?

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » July 15th, 2015, 5:48 am

greenjello85 wrote:Does anyone know if phones are trackable through GPS by S & R?
According to this article, they are, and it may be possible for your phone to transmit your location even when it appears that you have no reception. But I'd never count on a cell phone in the backcountry for communication. They can, however, be a good substitute for a dedicated GPS device. I've been using an app lately called MyTrails which is excellent.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

forester

Post by forester » July 16th, 2015, 1:14 pm

I have a Google Drive spreadsheet with the name of where I'm going, the coordinates where I park, and the coordinates of the destination. When I leave, I just make a new tab, copy and paste the stuff for that hike, then email the link to my wife. Pretty easy.

I've looked into the PLBs and decided against them, mostly due to cost. Part, however, is due to mindset. I kind of like not having one because I think it makes me smarter and safer when I'm out, as I don't have as much backup.

sprengers4jc

Post by sprengers4jc » July 16th, 2015, 6:14 pm

forester wrote:I've looked into the PLBs and decided against them, mostly due to cost. Part, however, is due to mindset. I kind of like not having one because I think it makes me smarter and safer when I'm out, as I don't have as much backup.
Interesting perspective. My PLB only cost me $150 and there are no other charges associated with it, but more importantly, having a PLB doesnt make people do rash things thinking they have backup. It takes 8-12 hrs for assistance to arrive and even longer for helicopter evac, etc. Other than extremely rare situations of gross misuse, I guarantee that someone is not going to activate one of those because they stub a toe while scrambling offtrail. It's for life and death situations. People who are going to make risky choices will do so whether they have a PLB or not.
Last edited by sprengers4jc on July 16th, 2015, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'We travel not to escape life but for life to not escape us.'
-Unknown