A good yellowjacket repellent - Does such a thing exist?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
bookem

A good yellowjacket repellent - Does such a thing exist?

Post by bookem » August 28th, 2014, 12:54 pm

This past weekend I did an out-and-back on the Ruckel Creek Trail with a friend of mine; it was an enjoyable outing save for a deviously-placed yellowjacket nest underneath a cut log on the south side of the trail.* My friend was about 15 feet ahead of me when the demon bugs suddenly erupted out of a hole alongside the trail where he was passing (sometimes it pays not to be the leader!). Fortunately he just got stung once on the ankle and I had my small first aid kit with me. Since the insects were just circling around the nest opening and I was still a decent distance away, I opted to detour off-trail (luckily this was a stretch of RCT where it was actually possible to do so) until I was safely beyond the nest.

Forget bears and cougars... encountering a yellowjacket nest is one of my biggest fears when venturing into the woods. Even though I haven't been stung in about 30 years and have never had a bad reaction to a sting, I can't freaking stand yellowjackets, hornets and wasps (bees are cool). My question is: Is there such a thing as a reliable yellowjacket repellent? Most of the commercially available repellents only seem to be targeted toward mosquitoes, files, etc. I've heard diluted peppermint oil applied to your skin makes an effective deterrent, but I get a sinking feeling that could make your aroma more attractive to bears :?

* My apologies, but I can't remember where exactly on the trail we encountered the nest; I believe it was shortly before the final meadow before that last steep push up to Benson Plateau.

kmcdade

Re: A good yellowjacket repellent - Does such a thing exist?

Post by kmcdade » August 28th, 2014, 2:54 pm

I don't know of a repellent.

We seem to have a bad yellow jacket year every five years or so, and I think this is one of them. I've been hearing about them a lot. They love to build nests right on the trail.
--Kathleen. Or K-Mac. As in KMC, because that's what people have taken to calling me here. :-)

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 28th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Haven't heard of any, but I feel the same way about those nasty critters. I got nailed a few times several years ago on the Pamelia Lake Trail, same thing - - a nest in a log right along the trail.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

raven

Post by raven » August 28th, 2014, 7:02 pm

This is the time of the year. The reason seems to be nest defense, and the wasps are serious. Repellants? I've heard bear spray works -- first person report.

A friend put her pack down for a break at the exactly wrong place -- a ground entrance to a hive. She was nailed numerous times instantly and, IIRC, I was nailed about 5 times in less than 20 seconds as we both scrambled 40 feet away. I still had my pack on with a climbing rope -- very rare for me, but we had plans. Used the rope to slide the pack a distance and the gaggle of yellow jackets returned to their nest. 20 minutes down the trail, I was hit again stepping over a log.

This seems to be a relatively new experience in the Cascades. I had not been stung in the previous 20 or so years of hiking in this area; nor had another hiking friend who, after a reaction to a sting near her house, is now carrying an epipen.

R11

Post by R11 » September 24th, 2014, 12:24 pm

I got stung by one as I was hiking down from Cathedral Pass on the last day of a trip up around Mt Daniel last month. As I was hiking down the trail I noticed what looked like a big yellow bowtie someone had put on a branch up ahead, so I stopped to take a look at it wondering what the heck it was for... Of course I found out quickly as I almost immediately felt what I first thought was something biting my hamstring above the back of my knee! All the sudden the gears clicked in my head and I realized it was likely a warning marker someone had put up to flag the yellow jacket nest along the trail I had just walked past. Doh!! After running down the trail with my arms/hiking poles flailing about like a madman for 30-40' I stopped and took a look back to see a number of them flying about the spot. I don't get much reaction from them and it didn't even bump up but it itched for a good week though.

ron
Last edited by R11 on September 24th, 2014, 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 24th, 2014, 12:34 pm

You haven't experienced anything unless you've been on top of a young, partially trained horse that stepped in a yellowjacket nest! Of course I wasn't on top for very much longer :lol: , but at least I hit the ground well clear of the nest!

I've been lucky enough not ever to have been stung, but I've had numerous episodes in which a yellowjacket spent several minutes circling around me while I tried not to move or even blink. Guaranteed to raise your adrenaline level!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Put garden hose into hole and drown them. This only works on some nests.

Raid (or some other brand) wasp and hornet killer. Some insecticide. 25 foot spray.

Or they have these traps with pheremone atrractant and a hole they fly into and can't get out.

Or take a bowl of water, suspend stick over it, hang a piece of raw bacon - yellow jackets eat bacon, fall into water, and drown.

I know, that isn't what you asked :D

They're not attracted to us. They sting us when they accidentally fly into us or if we get too near the nest. Just keep an eye out for them and try to avoid. Wearing long pants and shirt helps.

I've been stung a few times. Once I got stung on my lip and it swelled up. Other times in arm or leg and it wasn't too bad, but it sure stings. Mostly when they've made a nest in my yard. Or if I'm camping and there's food around, that will attract them and then they may sting. I've used all of those techniques with success.

I put up a trap every year, maybe in August. The attractant lasts a couple months. The last couple years I've caught hardly any. Maybe three years ago I got maybe 50. I think maybe if I put a trap out, then there will be less chance there will be any that survive the winter and make a nest the next year.

When I've passed trail maintainers, they usually have a can of the wasp and hornet killer.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 24th, 2014, 2:46 pm

They are attracted by motion, so if you hold really still, maybe….

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2014, 2:48 pm

No

I run away hysterically

If I'm "away" they won't sting me :D

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » September 24th, 2014, 3:28 pm

I can't imagine any repellent would work if you stumble upon a nest, because when those little bastards get into Attack Mode, they come at you butt-first and full speed ahead, without stopping to sniff for DEET.