5 Common Backpacking Mistakes That Can Cost You Your Life

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Lurch

Re: 5 Common Backpacking Mistakes That Can Cost You Your Lif

Post by Lurch » August 6th, 2014, 2:22 pm

kepPNW wrote:
-Q- wrote:Very happy that you posted this, as I need a refresher on what to do if you are caught in the alpine/sub-alpine zone and lightning starts up.

What is the recommended plan of action??
Just ran across this the other day - http://www.wta.org/hiking-info/basics/h ... ning-storm

Hard to believe bunching up, versus laying down, decreases the target size enough to be notable. But I suppose it makes sense. I also hadn't thought about keeping 15'+ away from buddies, so that if one is struck other(s) will still be able to do CPR.
It's not exactly that you're a smaller target. If you're laying down traveling through you body may present a lower resistance than ground. Ground strikes nearby could travel through your entire body (heart included) and that isn't going to end well. Crouching will somewhat lower the threat from 'being tall' and small contact on the ground with feet touching would hopefully limit the flow of a close groundstrike up one foot, hopping heel to heel and out the other foot, rather than up one leg, through your torso and down the other..

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 6th, 2014, 2:49 pm

Lurch wrote: It's not exactly that you're a smaller target. If you're laying down traveling through you body may present a lower resistance than ground. Ground strikes nearby could travel through your entire body (heart included) and that isn't going to end well. Crouching will somewhat lower the threat from 'being tall' and small contact on the ground with feet touching would hopefully limit the flow of a close groundstrike up one foot, hopping heel to heel and out the other foot, rather than up one leg, through your torso and down the other..
Wow, excellent explanation! That makes really good sense. Thanks much.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » August 6th, 2014, 3:15 pm

The tip about water does seem a little overdramatic...

The 10 essentials always seemed like good advice though. You think they might have thrown those in for good measure.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

-Q-

Post by -Q- » August 6th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for the responses about lightning.
Great links too.
I really appreciate it a ton :P

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » August 6th, 2014, 4:49 pm

This whole thing is overdramatic unless you're in lightning (Colorado) or Grizzly (Montana/Wyoming) country. Aside from those it's really just: don't get hypothermia.

miah66

Post by miah66 » August 7th, 2014, 3:02 pm

arundodonax wrote:This whole thing is overdramatic unless you're in lightning (Colorado) or Grizzly (Montana/Wyoming) country. Aside from those it's really just: don't get hypothermia.

While I agree with you about hypothermia, on your other point I think that attitude can get you into trouble EVEN in non-wilderness areas. Just last week a group I was with ran into trouble near, of all places, Multnomah Falls. Several members of the group did not have their 10 essentials and since I did, we were able to avoid a search and rescue scenario when a hiker fell and night descended.
"The top...is not the top" - Mile...Mile & a Half

Instagram @pdxstrider

xrp

Post by xrp » August 14th, 2014, 5:03 am

I love it how for item #1, the focus is on lightning killing people, yet the article doesn't say what to do about lightning. The way it is written, I should bring certain clothing for lightning.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » August 14th, 2014, 7:31 am

You guys don't hike in your faraday suits? :shock: