An expert thoroughly debunks snakebite kits

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
vibramhead

An expert thoroughly debunks snakebite kits

Post by vibramhead » June 5th, 2014, 6:13 pm

This Amazon review, by a herpetologist who's an expert in snakebites, of the Sawyer extractor kit does a brilliant job of explaining these things are worse than useless. One interesting point he makes is that the single most valuable tool you can carry for dealing with a snakebite is a sharpie, which you use to circle the bite, note the time, and then use your leg as a notepad to record the progression of your symptoms before rescue arrives. This advice is consistent the first aid training I've received.

The remarkable thing is how many reviewers on Amazon gave this thing 5 stars, despite the fact that most had never even used it on a snake bite.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Grannyhiker

Re: An expert thoroughly debunks snakebite kits

Post by Grannyhiker » June 5th, 2014, 9:34 pm

The instructors in the Wilderness First Aid class I took several years ago were really adamant that we not use any kind of suction or cutting or tourniquet or ice or other formerly standard treatment. Pit viper poison (rattlesnakes, copperheads, moccasins) acts by breaking down the blood vessels, causing considerable tissue damage. Anything that further damages the tissue (like cutting or suction) or restricts circulation (like a tourniquet or ice) only further damages the tissue and makes things even worse. They also can lead to infection (think gangrene). Wash the wound (as with any puncture wound), keep the part elevated if possible, and push the button on your Personal Locator Beacon or SPOT. The Sharpie sounds like a good idea, but a ball point pen will do, too.

Not all rattlesnake bites involve the injection of venom. It will be very obvious within a few minutes if your snakebite is envenomated. If there's no pain, you can forget the final instruction (push the button) above.

Do note that different first aid methods may apply to other types of snakes with different types of poison, such as those in Africa or Australia.

Keeping dogs on leash in snake country is also an excellent idea. Dogs are curious and will approach a rattling snake. If bitten on the head (likely), your dog's chances of survival are very small. In some areas, snake aversion training for dogs is available.

At least out here in the West, we have only rattlesnakes, which generally give some warning. While living in Pennsylvania, many years ago, the kids and I went on a berry-picking expedition, which we aborted in a hurry when I saw a really large copperhead coiled up under a berry bush! At least I assumed it was a copperhead--it was the right color--but I didn't wait around to do any detailed identification!

Prevention, we were told, is the best medicine. Always look where you are putting your hands and feet!