Tick Season!

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
kepPNW

Re: Tick Season!

Post by kepPNW » March 9th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Crusak wrote:Karl! You got bit? Oh noes. The tick bites I got last year left lasting sores that took forever to heal.
Yeah, didn't look too bad this morning. Infection-red about 1/2" across, surrounding the insult. Hopefully, it'll just fade away. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 9th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Isn't that maybe a sign of Lyme disease?

Maybe go see doctor, like tomorrow. If they treat with anti-biotics it's a non-event. If you let it go, it can become uncurable.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 9th, 2014, 7:27 pm

retired jerry wrote:Isn't that maybe a sign of Lyme disease?

Maybe go see doctor, like tomorrow. If they treat with anti-biotics it's a non-event. If you let it go, it can become uncurable.
Thanks, Jerry. Seems to be healing up pretty well. Spot's about 1/4 as big now. I think they'll get a bulls-eye ring pattern going with Lyme. Definitely have a watchful eye, though. :)
Karl

payslee

Post by payslee » March 9th, 2014, 7:37 pm

stop fooling around and go to the doctor now. Only about 60% of lyme ticks result in a classic bullseye but if you "keep a watchful eye" your next symptom, in a year or two, may be degenerative arthritis.

Lyme is much less common here than in New England (where I got deer tick bites every other summer, just about), but there are plenty of *other* nasty things they can give you too.

-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 9th, 2014, 7:39 pm

Hmmmmmm.... <grumble> :|
Karl

-Q-

Post by -Q- » March 9th, 2014, 7:49 pm

kepPNW wrote:
retired jerry wrote:Isn't that maybe a sign of Lyme disease?

Thanks, Jerry. Seems to be healing up pretty well. Spot's about 1/4 as big now. I think they'll get a bulls-eye ring pattern going with Lyme. Definitely have a watchful eye, though. :)
Just to be safe, whenever I have had an embedded tick in the past, I saved it (for future Lymes testing if needed).
Did you happen to save your little hitchhiker??

I still have my hitchhiker from last year (Surveyors Ridge Trail) in a scotch tape coffin (just like Splintercat) :twisted:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 10th, 2014, 9:15 am

-Q- wrote:Did you happen to save your little hitchhiker??
No, didn't think for even a moment about it. Just tossed him. Grew up doing that. Haven't adjusted to "the new reality," or apparently even accepted there is one yet. :)
retired jerry wrote:Maybe go see doctor, like tomorrow.
payslee wrote:stop fooling around and go to the doctor now.
Concern noted, and appreciated! So I went ahead and emailed my doc this morning, and just got the following response...
doctor wrote:In general, it takes about 72 hours of tick adherence to cause Lyme Disease. However, to play it safe, I have entered orders for you to have a blood test to check for Lyme Disease antibodies. Come to the lab (no appointment need) in Suite 180 to get the blood drawn, any time on or after 3/24/14. If you develop chills, an area of skin redness that expands to several inches then disappears, or unusual joint pains before that, then arrange to quickly be seen here.
Watchfully waiting...
Karl

payslee

Post by payslee » March 10th, 2014, 4:58 pm

We only pester you because we care. And because we are stuck in PH stage 8.

;)

-payslee

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 10th, 2014, 6:58 pm

payslee wrote:We only pester you because we care. And because we are stuck in PH stage 8.

;)
:lol:

Lucky me! :D
Karl

Roy

Post by Roy » March 11th, 2014, 7:10 am

kepPNW wrote:
payslee wrote:We only pester you because we care. And because we are stuck in PH stage 8.

;)
:lol:

Lucky me! :D
Its been a couple years since I dug one one out and only went to the doc once when I got one where nobody wants one or ever should have to go thru getting one there :shock: They put me on antibiotics.

Disgusting creatures :!:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura