Tick Season!

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
texasbb

Re: Tick Season!

Post by texasbb » March 11th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Roy wrote: Its been a couple years since I dug one one out and only went to the doc once when I got one where nobody wants one or ever should have to go thru getting one there :shock: They put me on antibiotics.
I'm not sure I've got a body part that hasn't had a tick on it at some point. But I always did the extraction duties myself, at least once I was old enough to not want my mom doing it. :oops:

Roy

Post by Roy » March 13th, 2014, 7:49 pm

kepPNW wrote:

So I went ahead and emailed my doc this morning, and just got the following response...
doctor wrote:In general, it takes about 72 hours of tick adherence to cause Lyme Disease. However, to play it safe, I have entered orders for you to have a blood test to check for Lyme Disease antibodies. Come to the lab (no appointment need) in Suite 180 to get the blood drawn, any time on or after 3/24/14. If you develop chills, an area of skin redness that expands to several inches then disappears, or unusual joint pains before that, then arrange to quickly be seen here.
Watchfully waiting...
Was sitting in my Pt waiting room this afternoon and across the hall I see suite 180 Lab. Vancouver clinic Salmon creek. Seems like my home away from home Dr Hallas has been my PCP for over15 years Pain mgt dr is upstairs f and suite 190 has been PT for me since Feb 10 3 times a week.

Its a nice clinic and I love the email option DRs seem to like its to.

Good luck I'm sure your fine
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 13th, 2014, 7:54 pm

Thanks, Roy. Not expecting any issues, either, but sounds like a simple test will ensure that. I seem to be spending too much time there, myself, as I age. But yeah, the ability to email the docs - and their interest in answering you! - is definitely a step forward in medicine. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 13th, 2014, 9:38 pm

I read a detailed report about Lyme Disease in Oregon, and they found that in most cases reported in NW Oregon, the person had recently spent some time in a place where Lyme disease is more common. The chances of picking it up around here are still pretty slim.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2446842/