10 days after total knee replacement

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Roy

10 days after total knee replacement

Post by Roy » February 15th, 2014, 1:59 pm

I will post my experience with a TKR so it may help anyone who has to undergo this procedure. I found the internet to be of little help because mostly unhappy people post bad experiences.

I chose to go with a new version of this surgery (at least its new around here its been done back east for more than ten years)They do not cut the quadricep muscle and tendon in the this surgery, and the surgery only takes an hour and half. I also went home the same day.

I am already walking with a cane an my physical therapist yesterday was concerned I was pushing things to fast and I needed to look at the long haul. He gave me a time limit of being off the couch and recliner.

In my IMO the most important thing if you are facing this surgery is find a Doc that does knees and only knees.

Ok I am using precious minutes I must retreat to the couch and grab my I pad.

Any questions pm me.T/Roy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

retired jerry

Re: 10 days after total knee replacement

Post by retired jerry » February 15th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Good luck!

It's so easy to over exert too early

It's at least good that you're able to over exert, rather than just having to stay off it due to pain or whatever

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » February 15th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Most people tend not to work hard enough at their physical therapy. It's good to know that you can work too hard, even though it's not a good idea! Best wishes for a full recovery!

Guy

Post by Guy » February 15th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Two thumbs up for a speedy & full recovery Roy....

I'm expecting a TR from you this year from either the top of Silver Star or Whittier. Your choice..
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » February 15th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Get well soon, Tom!!! Are you sitting in your "recliner" sipping on "Dr. Pepper?" ;) As soon as your ready, you have another recliner hiker that wants to ascend Silver Star. Keep us informed of your progress.

Will

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 15th, 2014, 6:52 pm

Tom,

Hope you heal up better than ever and are back on the trails soon! Good luck!

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Crusak

Post by Crusak » February 15th, 2014, 9:12 pm

I'm glad you're up and around after surgery, Tom. I hope you heal quickly, and I hope you can get back out hiking again soon!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Peder

Post by Peder » February 15th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Get well quickly, Tom! But don't overdo the exercise at first...
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » February 16th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I know its a good year before everything heals inside that leg, I have six weeks of PT and the goal is to walk a half mile and move to a stationary bike by then.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Limey

Post by Limey » February 17th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Tom, I was just thinking about you on saturday, wondering how your surgery went, and here you are. Good to hear you're coming along. Listen to what your PT tells you and don't rush it. You don't want to suffer any setbacks due to over-eagerness. Best wishes and glad to see you posting here again.