Any one out there with a knee replacement?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Roy

Any one out there with a knee replacement?

Post by Roy » December 31st, 2013, 8:25 am

I am having my right knee replaced soon and wonder if anyone has had this done. Its the full meal deal not a tune up.
Two very active people I know have had this done and have never returned to their abilities before.But I think they thought it would bring them back to days of past. I have no illusion of this.

Sleeping has become way to hard the bone on bone arthritic right knee grinds when I move in my sleep. And driving any distance home from a hike has become unbearable with pain radiating down to my gas peddle foot.

Any positive stories out there. The pain relief at this point would be satisfactory for me.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Guy

Re: Any one out there with a knee replacement?

Post by Guy » December 31st, 2013, 9:17 am

My dad had it done at 74 Roy (now 79). It didn't return him to 100% mobility or cure 100% of the pain but it did allow him to continue walking 6 to 8 miles a day & play 18 holes of golf (which he also walks around) twice a week without the need for any pain killers so he counts it as a success.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » December 31st, 2013, 6:08 pm

I think Jack had both? done, would be nice to hear him weigh in as I think he has started hiking again...

Crusak

Post by Crusak » December 31st, 2013, 8:14 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:I think Jack had both? done, would be nice to hear him weigh in as I think he has started hiking again...
I noticed that Jack has resumed hiking again, but I'd also like to hear how he's doing.

Best of luck Tom! Let us know when your surgery is and how you're doing.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Roy

Post by Roy » January 1st, 2014, 5:26 am

Eric Peterson wrote:I think Jack had both? done, would be nice to hear him weigh in as I think he has started hiking again...
I got the impression only one out of his post and that post was a little different. This coming from someone that has been looking to have this done for a while.

No offense to Jack but his situation from the few posts here make me skeptical I would have to go with him or have a trusted friend go to trust his response .

This is the internet.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » January 1st, 2014, 5:46 am

Guy wrote:My dad had it done at 74 Roy (now 79). It didn't return him to 100% mobility or cure 100% of the pain but it did allow him to continue walking 6 to 8 miles a day & play 18 holes of golf (which he also walks around) twice a week without the need for any pain killers so he counts it as a success.
Nice my fishing friends Dad up north had his done maybe at 70. He was a ref for high school and junior college basketball till he was over 80. Now at 88 wit heart vale and bypass surgery he can only fish with us in the boat.

Thanks for the positive feed back.

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » January 1st, 2014, 7:51 am

One thing I have heard over and over - the success of your surgery depends heavily on the skill of the surgeon. So, when you go to do it, make sure you find a doctor with a good reputation and success rate and I think the chances it will be successful will be greater. My sister had knee replacement and she seems to be doing fine (although she is not a hiker).

Good luck.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » January 1st, 2014, 8:03 am

Roy wrote:Any positive stories out there. The pain relief at this point would be satisfactory for me.
A friend had both knees replaced. He's good for about 12 miles a day backpacking and the pain is gone.

Roy

Post by Roy » January 1st, 2014, 5:26 pm

RobFromRedland wrote:One thing I have heard over and over - the success of your surgery depends heavily on the skill of the surgeon. So, when you go to do it, make sure you find a doctor with a good reputation and success rate and I think the chances it will be successful will be greater. My sister had knee replacement and she seems to be doing fine (although she is not a hiker).

Good luck.
I agree doctors are very important for sure. Ive only had two knee docs first in 1980 his work speaks for itself.
He retired in 95.

The new one he picked to replace in his office and he did pick him. Did micro fracture surgery on that 80 repaired knee. scoped it twice for tune ups and scooped the left to.

I was going to go with a different doc since the second is no longer a young man. But he has done hundreds of replacements and has me set up for a custom fit one. You can find nothing in 25 plus years of surgery bad about him. And Ive talked to several people he has done no complaints. He uses proven parts and skills.

Him and I go back a ways and he does knees only.

Roy

Post by Roy » January 1st, 2014, 5:33 pm

Pnw.hiker wrote:
Roy wrote:Any positive stories out there. The pain relief at this point would be satisfactory for me.
A friend had both knees replaced. He's good for about 12 miles a day backpacking and the pain is gone.
Thanks for another positive story :D