Safety on the trail

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
ForestPanther

Safety on the trail

Post by ForestPanther » November 7th, 2013, 9:09 am

Hi there-

Need your advice!

I decided to get away from the rain yesterday and headed east to try to catch a dry desert break while hiking along the Deschutes River Trail. I know the area, and while I don't normally hike alone, I thought it would be fine.

But while I was down on the river section returning back to trail head, I heard a close-by BLAM! and an echoing report across the canyon. It was very near by and my ears were ringing from the sound. It took a second to realize this was a gun blast at close range. Immediately, I started blowing my whistle to say, "Hey, idiot, there are people out here!" and looked up towards the middle road. There was a guy with his dog heading the same direction as me (he was the only person I saw the entire time, and the sound came right from where he was walking). For whatever reason, he had shot at something. I have no idea if he was shooting in my direction or not, but I was pretty rattled.

Since I was on the lower river trail, this put me directly into the campground. I immediately found a volunteer who radioed the ranger to go talk to the man. The guy who had fired the shot had done so within the restricted zone, which was illegal. Because he was heading to the same parking lot, I asked the ranger to accompany me to my car just in case. Hurrying, I got out of there before the guy got to the parking lot and had a "conversation" with the ranger.

Have you ever had this kind of situation before? What do you do when someone is illegally shooting guns and putting you in danger? I tried to think about anything I would have done differently, but can't. I was scared, though.

retired jerry

Re: Safety on the trail

Post by retired jerry » November 7th, 2013, 9:18 am

I've hiked along the Deschutes nearby and encountered people with guns, but I don't remember them shooting.

Made me a bit nervous but I had a short talk and they always seem friendly.

I think you don't need to worry. Even if he was illegally shooting.

Probably good to tell ranger about illegal shooting.

Now if you walk near a shooting area with young males drinking alcohol, then I'de be more concerned. Leave the area immediately for sure.

Koda

Post by Koda » November 7th, 2013, 9:58 am

Was he carrying a rifle or shotgun? Because I think there is an exception to the no shooting zone during hunting season. If true, something to consider but they still need to be safe about it so….
Regardless, and in any situation you did the correct thing blowing your whistle. If he was not lawfully hunting then you did the correct thing again by not confronting him and contacting the authority. Any bonehead illegally shooting is not going to be reasoned with, you did good and I would not have done anything different.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

ForestPanther

Post by ForestPanther » November 7th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Thanks for your comments! I had asked the ranger and the guy who was shooting was definitely within the restricted zone. Further out, you can shoot wherever you want. But he was shooting right near the river cable car which is a no-no, according to the ranger.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 7th, 2013, 6:33 pm

I had a situation on the Wilson River Trail (west of the Diamond Mill ORV staging area) where people were shooting in the general direction of the trail. I blew my whistle during the "pause" between shots to let them know that someone was up there. It didn't help. They kept shooting, so I picked up the pace and got away from that area.

I think you definitely did the right things. I would never confront an armed person unless I had no choice.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mjirving

Post by mjirving » November 7th, 2013, 7:20 pm

This summer I was kayaking the Tualatin River and I heard a BLAM. Then a few seconds later it was raining around me. Then I realized it was all the buck shot "raining" into the river around me. Whoa!

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » November 10th, 2013, 7:03 am

You did make a good choice reporting him to the proper authorities because he shot on a trail AND in or near a campground. I think it is pretty stupid that anyone would need to have a gun if they have a dog and it is super cruel to shoot around animals (I've never seen a dog or cat with ear plugs) which will damage their hearing canal.
Last edited by forestkeeper on November 10th, 2013, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » November 10th, 2013, 7:55 am

Uh oh - saying ridiculous things again - just ignore this Forest Panther

It's against the rules to shoot in the park. Totally reasonable to report to authorities. Someone could get shot.

People are shot every day. Totally reasonable to be fearful that this might happen to you. Although I'll agree with forestkeeper that hunters are generally not to be feared, even a crazy person shooting in the park, probably best to just ignore it and walk back to your car.

I would assume he shot his gun for fun. It's even more fun when you're breaking the rules. Beer might be part of this. :)

Forestkeeper, I can't believe you've fallen for the propoganda that Obama wants to take your gun away. They're just working you up so you won't see what they're doing - huge financial payoffs in return for loopholes in laws to benefit a few wealthy people. And the gun manufacturers make a ton of money selling weapons and ammunition. I bet they secretly contribute to Democrats :)

Limey

Post by Limey » November 10th, 2013, 8:19 am

I don't usually get involved in controversial topics but Forestkeeper, I think you're off base here. This isn't a constitutional issue, it is about someone shooting illegally in the close proximity of other people. Not knowing what he was shooting at, and what direction he was shooting would make me nervous too. I think Forest Panther did the right thing by alerting the Ranger to the situation. Just my opinion.

Marilyn

Charley

Post by Charley » November 10th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Yeah. Shooting a gun that near a campground is idiotic. It's illegal for a reason. There's no other parking lot. . . and since this dude couldn't be bothered, apparently, to follow the law regarding where to shoot, it was a great idea to have a little (law enforcement) company in his presence.

In this situation, you've got someone behaving idiotically, and they've got a lethal weapon. You've reported their actions to the authorities, and they have been warned- they may even know that you're the one who told the authorities. You've got every reason to be worried about their behavior. It's just common sense.

So, ForestKeeper, you're WAY off base.
Last edited by Charley on November 10th, 2013, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.