New Updated Search & Rescue HST ReConn Form 2.0

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Maverick

New Updated Search & Rescue HST ReConn Form 2.0

Post by Maverick » November 4th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Fellow Backpackers/Hikers/Climbers/Outdoors Enthusiasts,

I am a moderator from High Sierra Topix joining hiking/backpacking forums
across the US letting folks know about our SAR Form which was created by
myself after a friend and member of our HST community died in the Sierra
last year. My hope is that many of you will adopt this form and share it with
others hikers so we can save some lives in the future.
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =1&t=10192

PS. I did try contacting Admin by pm, but received not reply yet. Would ask that
you please pin this so others can take advantage of it in the future.

raven

Re: New Updated Search & Rescue HST ReConn Form 2.0

Post by raven » November 4th, 2013, 5:14 pm

The form doesn't seem to ask about party size or whether there are companions at all, or about the filer's relationship to the others; rather, details are asked about one person's gear and self. (Strange, since one question asks about "vehicles used".) So, in my opinion, it is not ready for public exposure.

Nor do I agree with the approach taken. I certainly would not place the information requested into the cloud or a browser window, even while filling out the form. Too risky: "My house will be empty from the eventing of date X through the afternoon of date Y."

If a useful form was available as a word processing template, preferable as text file, that could filled in once and saved as a personalized template, it would be both easier and faster to use. It would only have to be updated for each use and emailed to a trustee.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » November 4th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Raven wrote:
The form doesn't seem to ask about party size or whether there are companions
at all, or about the filer's relationship to the others; rather, details are asked about
one person's gear and self. (Strange, since one question asks about "vehicles used".)
So, in my opinion, it is not ready for public exposure.
The form is for individuals, not groups, each individuals physical characteristics are
different, as are their equipment, as could their mode of transportation to the trailhead.
This year there was a missing climber in the Minarets, no mode of transportation to the
trailhead was know (his car was in a local shop), and with no knowledge of exactly where
he had gone climbing, no SAR could be initiated.
http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... Lakes-area
The form is geared towards helping SAR by collecting important information that
otherwise would take time to collect, which a missing and/or injured person may not
have a lot of. It has been reviewed by several SAR members, and each has voiced
their approval saying it would give a backpacker/hikers a better chance at survival,
which is the whole point of the Form.
Nor do I agree with the approach taken. I certainly would not place the information
requested into the cloud or a browser window, even while filling out the form. Too
risky: "My house will be empty from the eventing of date X through the afternoon of
date Y."
There may be word variation down the line, but this version is at the forefront at the moment.
Thank you for your input and suggestions.

Lurch

Post by Lurch » November 4th, 2013, 7:28 pm

I'd agree with Raven, I'm be weary about putting some of those things online, although I understand your intentions and your drive, and applaud the initiative.

Remember, that by their nature searches are not going to be fast. They are methodical, and measurable, to achieve the highest possibility of success in the shortest amount of time. Rescues are conducted swiftly.

If you're interested I can ask and see if it would be kosher to share our standard 'missing person questionnaire' which is a 4 page long standardized list of questions we ask every reporting party. Only the last 2 would realistically change with every hike, as they describe the intended route and equipment carried.

To simply initiate a search, we can (and often do) run off far less information than what is asked up there, but any information can be beneficial, so long as it is accurate.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » November 5th, 2013, 9:29 am

Lurch wrote:
I'd agree with Raven, I'm be weary about putting some of those things online, although I
understand your intentions and your drive, and applaud the initiative.
Putting online? Lurch, all you have to do is fill in the information, download the form, and
give a copy/copies to family, friends, or whomever you entrust. If you are overdue then
they would contact the SAR/Sheriff for the county which you indicated on the form, and
e-mail or fax them the form, which ever you feel comfortable with. There was a "Create"
button at the bottom, next to the "Print" button, which my web developer added that
allowed one to get a security passcode number for each and every form which could be
only accessed by someone who have this passcode number. When I found out that anyone
using this feature would have their info stored a server I had it removed for privacy and
liability reasons. My original form was in a pdf format, about 3-4 pages long, but after
getting some input we found that not only the younger/tech savvy outdoors generation
but older folks preferred something much shorter. Most folks attention span is not very
long when it comes to filling out longer forms even if it may save their lives, so this is
how this version of the form was born.
I agree that searches are done methodically, which may seem slow to loved ones at the
time, which is why any pertinent information that can be relayed to SAR will only
help. Working currently with SAR and Esri folks to get Recreation.gov to add it to there
permit download page.
Thank you for taking your time to look at the form, and your useful input.