Altitude Sickness/Baby Aspirin

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Born2BBrad

Altitude Sickness/Baby Aspirin

Post by Born2BBrad » July 30th, 2013, 1:51 pm

I just had someone mention to take baby aspirin beforehand to alleviate symptoms of altitude sickness. Since I suffer from this, it piqued my interest. A quick Internet search found many article noting that low-dose aspirin can indeed help with elevation sickness.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience taking pre-emptive low-dose aspirin before going to high elevation and while there?

Below are just a couple of Internet snipits. Since they came from the Internet, they must be true :lol:

Aspirin—Pretreatment with aspirin before travel to high altitudes appears to decrease the incidence and severity of headaches, the main symptom of mild AMS. Take one aspirin tablet every 4 hours for three doses before arrival. After arrival, take two tablets three times daily for 3 days. (Ibuprofen also works.)

Aspirin can also prevent headache associated with sudden exposure to altitude. Clinical trials have shown that taking analgesic doses (320 - 960 mg 4-hourly) shortly before arrival at altitude can reduce the incidence of headache by as much as 40% compared with placebo.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

kepPNW

Re: Altitude Sickness/Baby Aspirin

Post by kepPNW » July 30th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:Does anyone have any first-hand experience taking pre-emptive low-dose aspirin before going to high elevation and while there?
Hmmmm, I take one of those 83mg pills every night on doctor's recommend. But, because I was on the road before both of my last two climbs, didn't then. I wonder if there's any lingering effect? I did have a mild headache on both, but attributed it to caffeine withdrawal.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » July 30th, 2013, 6:07 pm

It just thins your blood...which at higher elevation makes sense. I would consult a MD first before the interwebs. :)
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 30th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Another thing people take is acetazolamide, often marketed under the brand name Diamox

You need prescription

Start taking it a few days before going to altitude

Or you can take it after symptoms but not as effective

Makes your blood more acidic

raven

Post by raven » July 30th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Altitude has affected me differently on trips over the years. Mostly I have had no symptoms. I noted that the effects, when felt, were usually on day two or three at altitude. I've had headaches, Cheyne-Stokes breathing, lassitude and acute nausea -- onset while rushing up hill after a heavy breakfast on day 2 at 6500 feet, iirc. After a trip on which I had an incredible lassitude starting day 3, it clicked that my various symptoms might be associated with acute anemia brought on by altitude adaptation coupled with limited iron reserves. Thereafter I started taking an iron supplement before going out for multiple days at 5000 feet and above, and have had no symptoms since.

YMMV.

turtle

Post by turtle » August 2nd, 2013, 12:21 pm

When I hiked the Colorado Trail in 2003 I took Diamox for a few days in advance and during the early days of the trip. It will cause dehydration if you're not careful but I had no problems with altitude sickness on the trip. The CT averages 10K in elevation and tops out at just over 13K. I spent a day in the Denver area to acclimate and took it easy for the first few days. I also learned about the different kinds of altitude sickness; one is treatable to a point and the other is get your butt off the mountain and see a Doctor. Its been awhile but HAPE and HACE come to mind. Hope this helps. OBTW the Colorado Trail is highly recommended.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » August 2nd, 2013, 7:08 pm

There was a study a year or two ago about ibuprofen helping, but statistically it was barely significant.

Good writeup on altitude sickness here from NOLS: http://dwb4.unl.edu/Chem/CHEM869V/CHEM8 ... ADAPTATION

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 3rd, 2013, 7:03 pm

Thanks for the response everyone. I usually don't have problems until above 8000'. Not as much if acclimatized. I'll have to do some more research if I plan to gain a large amount of elevation quickly without acclimatizing. Nothing crazy, just something like up to Illumination Rock.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Helen

Post by Helen » September 11th, 2013, 10:47 pm

I wish I had seen this thread before going up to Ice Lake in the Wallowas yesterday. It totally kicked my butt. As soon as I took my pack off I felt wiped out and I was surprise because I thought it was a steady incline and easy pitch compared to the gorge hikes I've done all summer. I thought I was just wiped out, then the headache started. I didn't think I was dehydrated since I had consumed 4 - 5 liters of water that day, but I chugged another one down then took 2 advil (which I seldom take). After dinner the headache was worse and I felt pretty bad so I crawled into my tent. Before long my breathing was really labored and I was really dizzy. I finally rolled onto my back and that made breathing a little easier. I came close to vomiting but didn't, which was good because I was so dizzy there was no way I would have made it out of the tent in time (I would have nailed the dog, the tent and my sleeping bag - ewwww.) This lasted about 2 hours then I finally fell asleep.

I got up twice in the night to get rid of all that water I drank and still didn't feel well, but I was better than I had been (and the stars were amazing). At sunrise, I snapped some photos of an incredible view with beautiful reflections off the lake. I kept going back and forth on whether to stay with the plan of camping there 2 nights or packing up and leaving. I decided to go since I wouldn't be able to do much in the way of exercising that day and I knew I couldn't do any more elevation gain.

As soon as I got a few hundred feet lower the air felt so much better. I had no idea that I was so sensitive to this. Ice Lake is only ~7,800 ft. I do have Meniere's (a vestibular disorder) so maybe that's a contributing factor? I'm wondering now if I can do any of the John Muir Trail next year. I'll try taking ibuprofen before my next high altitude hike and see if that helps.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 11th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Helen, talk to your physician about diamox. Unlike the home/OTC remedies, it is proven to help with altitude problems.

A more gradual acclimatization regimen would also help.