What's your heat threshold?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Splintercat

What's your heat threshold?

Post by Splintercat » July 27th, 2013, 1:03 pm

I've always really hated hiking in hot weather, but I'm pretty sure my heat threshold is actually DROPPING as I get older..! Not sure what that's about, but doing any amount of serious uphill above about 75-80 degrees, and I really fade away. Noticed this on Wednesday on Gnarl Ridge as we hit the loose stuff toward the top of the ridge... really had to push through that section.

So, I checked the Mayo Clinic page on symptoms of heat exhaustion, and found this list:

• Cool, moist skin with goose bumps when in the heat
• Heavy sweating
• Faintness
• Dizziness
• Fatigue
• Weak, rapid pulse
• Low blood pressure upon standing
• Muscle cramps
• Nausea
• Headache

Okay, so at that point on Gnarl Ridge (and again yesterday, while laying pavers in the sun on backyard project) I can check the boxes for sweating, faintness (notice this when I kneel down, then stand up), nausea -- so, I suspect I'll have to do better about precautions. I also ran low on water on Gnarl Ridge (though I knew of a water source near the summit, so refilled there), so my bad on that front.

So... then I read the Mayo Clinic page on risk factors for heat exhaustion, and BINGO! I hit three of the "risk" categories: age, extra weight (working on it!) and meds. Shoot! I think because I generally avoid strenuous hikes on hot days that I haven't really noticed this creeping up on me, but I think I'm going to have to be more careful!

One really good option is to start very early in the day on Mount Hood hikes, so that I'm coming down the hill when the temperatures are rising. Another is to take lots of breaks -- I'm pretty good about that, these days (not in my nature - I'm totally Type A). I already drink like a camel because of my long history as a kidney stone factory... but I think it really comes down to accepting reality: I probably need to avoid hiking in exposed areas when it's above that threshold of 75-80 or so.... nuts!

Anyone else running into this? (Whippersnappers need not reply! Youth is wasted on the young, after all!) :lol:

Tom :)

retired jerry

Re: What's your heat threshold?

Post by retired jerry » July 27th, 2013, 1:28 pm

I did trip in Strawberries. 85 degree F. Sweaty. Sticky mouth. I was intentionally doing hot weather trip.

First day 9 miles, 2500 feet elevation gain to 8300 feet. Very yellow urine. Very tired. Drank 3 liters of water.

Next 3 days got up at dawn. 11 miles per day, 1500 feet elevation gain. Drank extra liter during the day and extra liter in evening. Then my urine was only a little yellow in afternoon. Not quite as tired.

I don't like hot weather but it's sort of fun to do it occasionally. as in type 2 fun :) I normally do 2 MPH but more like 1.5 MPH on this trip.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 27th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Splintercat wrote: I probably need to avoid hiking in exposed areas when it's above that threshold of 75-80 or so.... nuts!

Anyone else running into this? (Whippersnappers need not reply! Youth is wasted on the young, after all!) :lol:

Yes! I grew up as a kid in Bakersfield CA and handled the heat just fine. But I've lived in Oregon for the past 26 years and I've grown very heat intolerant.

My threshold? It's probably 80° or so. Above that and my comfort level really drops. Last weekend on that TFJ hike the heat was murder.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

n.bumppo

Post by n.bumppo » July 27th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Splintercat wrote:I've always really hated hiking in hot weather, but I'm pretty sure my heat threshold is actually DROPPING as I get older..! Not sure what that's about, but doing any amount of serious uphill above about 75-80 degrees, and I really fade away. Noticed this on Wednesday on Gnarl Ridge as we hit the loose stuff toward the top of the ridge... really had to push through that section.

So, I checked the Mayo Clinic page on symptoms of heat exhaustion, and found this list:

• Cool, moist skin with goose bumps when in the heat
• Heavy sweating
• Faintness
• Dizziness
• Fatigue
• Weak, rapid pulse
• Low blood pressure upon standing
• Muscle cramps
• Nausea
• Headache

Yes, I have more trouble with heat as I age. I have always had trouble with overheating. As I have aged it have gotten worse. I just assume it's part of getting old. My body is less resilient. It takes more effort to stay in shape and as a result I am not in as good of .shape as when I was young. I seem to have missed out on the bionic gene some have inherited.
Dave

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 27th, 2013, 2:44 pm

I think it's a matter of conditioning. Honestly, my main problem(s) with this...

... were one knee from the 20+ mile point on, and a bit of <cough> chafing at the end. I think I would've gotten by with the 2.5 liters of water I started with, but did take the opportunity to tank up when it became an option.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 27th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Where is that track from, Karl? Not that I'd do it in anything less than a 2-day backpack (with a llama to carry my cooler)... ;)
I seem to have missed out on the bionic gene some have inherited.
I know the feeling. And we ALL hate Don Nelsen for it, too..! :lol:

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 27th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Splintercat wrote:Where is that track from, Karl?
Three Fingered Jack.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

texasbb

Post by texasbb » July 27th, 2013, 4:33 pm

I definitely notice I can't shed the heat as well as I age, but I also think there's some conditioning or acclimatization or something involved. I play basketball outdoors three days a week, often with temperatures in the mid 90s, so hot hiking is generally more a nuisance than a problem. Several times in the last few weeks I've done my conditioning hike up Badger Mtn (1.3 miles, 800 vf, 50-lb pack, stopwatch), at 100+ degrees. The worst was 110.

That said, I am very careful about drinking lots of water and eating lots of electrolyte-ish snacks when I hike. I've borderline dehydrated myself a few times and it's just not worth it. On hot days I have a regimen--I put myself on the clock and drink something at least every 15 minutes, eat something every hour; keep the bottles filled beyond what I think I'll need so I don't ever get in the mindset of rationing water; I count bio breaks and guzzle a third-liter or so if I haven't gone enough or if my pee is more than faintly colored; and I try to stop early if I start getting any of those overheat symptoms.

All in all, hot hiking doesn't bother me that much. Hot sleeping, on the other hand...

Limey

Post by Limey » July 27th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Count me in. I overheat very quickly, I always have. It has become worse as I age. I have always been underweight which I think adds to it. I am also one of the unfortunate ones who do not sweat so I have a really hard time cooling off. I do get clammy and have goose bumps. I think my limit is down to 70. Needless to say, I haven't been hiking since it got hot. Been going out at sunset and getting about 45mins in every night. I was just starting to get back in shape too. It has been quite a setback. I do not acclimatize either. Spent 3 years in Utah and never did get used to it. Hope this weather breaks soon.

Marilyn

RobFromRedland

Post by RobFromRedland » July 28th, 2013, 6:10 am

Yea, I don't really like the hot weather either. I have a much harder time with it, and it does seem to get harder as I get older (doesn't everything?).

Two things (other than trying to drink lots of water, which is always a challenge for me)
  • I wet a towel and stick it around my neck - it also helps prevent sunburn on my neck
  • If it is really bad, I will dunk my hat it cold water and then put it on my head - that works really well, but is rather messy as it drips a lot for a while.
My favorite times of hear to hike are spring and fall - it is cooler and usually less crowded.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson