What's your heat threshold?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Splintercat

Re: What's your heat threshold?

Post by Splintercat » July 30th, 2013, 7:43 pm

...and it does seem to get harder as I get older (doesn't everything?)
Well said, Rob! :lol:

-Tom :)

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 31st, 2013, 12:11 pm

Give me about 50 degrees and I'm fine.

I remember hiking up to Triple Falls in December of 2009 and it was something like 14-17 degrees? That was great :)

I think the worst I've had it was hiking Silver Star from Bluff Mountain. It's mainly exposed to the sun (which I already react to with hives and trouble breathing) and a lot of ups and downs. I was taking breaks every 10 or so minutes on the way back.

I'm wayyyyyy overweight, which I'm sure makes it that much worse. I also seem to want to conserve drinking my water for fear of running out (yet I have ways to filter water with me) so I should just drink more I'm sure.

joerunner

Post by joerunner » April 27th, 2014, 4:07 pm

You can increase your heat threshold by increasing your fitness. You can also increase your heat threshold with the use of a sauna. When I'm training for a ultra race I spend the 3 weeks before a race going to my gym's sauna. The length of time I spend in the sauna increases throughout the duration and tops out at about 1 hour. I also crank up the heat in my car with the windows shut during my commutes. There are studies that show some positive but temporary changes that occur with heat adaption. One of them is increased blood plasma which allows heart not to have to pump so fast to cool you down. Last year I ran a race the length of the florida keys with temps in the lower 90's and 85% + humidity. It was uncomfortable but doable for this Oregon guy.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 27th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Having spent quite a few years living in eastern Oregon and Washington, even after 25 years in the Portland area I'm just starting to get comfortably warm when everyone else starts complaining about the heat. What really got me was going back to visit Ohio and Pennsylvania in late June-early July last summer. It was only in the low 90's, but the humidity left me prostrate! This year I'm waiting until October to go back!

Electrolyte mixes in my water really help me when it's hot. For some reason, I absorb the water better. The electrolyte mix seems to hydrate my body tissues instead of just going in one end and out the other as I experience with plain water. :D

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 28th, 2014, 7:51 am

For me it really depends on the humidity. I pretty much top out at 75 and 80 is pushing it. If it's humid I droop much earlier.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

IslandCougGirl

Post by IslandCougGirl » April 30th, 2014, 12:42 am

I hiked Multnomah/Franklin Ridge in Sept 2009 and it was easily in the upper 80's lower 90's but the humidity from the creeks is what really killed me. I think I stopped every 15 minutes or so and drank all my water which was about 2L and even ended up drinking some of my aunt's. I've never been more miserable on a trail before.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 30th, 2014, 2:08 pm

The job I had for over 25 yrs put me in some hot places 130 degree plus at times I agree with Jo runner you can acclimatize to heat I did. I know I did Mc Laughlin last July in 100 degree temps and only used about 2 and half liters of water. A very hot dry climb.

We were taught about dehydration a lot of breaks water Gatorade electrolyte pills, no soda or Caffeine not all followed this.
I know as I worked with the older guys blood pressures meds statins raised caution. I've been lucky my blood pressure and blood work still are excellent.

Now taking early retirement it will be interesting to see how it affects me.

Some of my young apprentices got a bit loony when they thought I was full of BS sometimes the next day they looked like a truck hit them and were worthless.

Its not a joke.

Nobody ever tarped it on the job tho :lol:
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 30th, 2014, 2:28 pm

What is it outside right now, 84 F?

I was out planting tomato plants

This was way too hot!!!

I drank maybe 3 pints of water which helped

But, it's not summer if you don't sometimes experience over your threshold a little :)