How we perceive whats healthy to consume.

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Roy

How we perceive whats healthy to consume.

Post by Roy » June 24th, 2013, 7:19 pm

A while back I met up with a friend I had not traveled with for a few years. Seeing he lives in Port Angles we met at Hoodsport and did some hiking in the southern Olympics. I was waiting for him in my truck and after the two and half hour drive I broke in to my after hike cooler and had one of my two cold Cokes.He showed just as I opened it and immediately badgered me about drinking that poison at seven am.

So on the drive up he cracks a bottle of some joint juice energy combo and sucks it down. I reminded him it was most likely scientifically concocted in someones condo bathtub, and they turn the jets on to stir it. He did almost choke laughing at that one. Next he looks at my pack as I put my water bottle in and harasses me for not owning a camel back.

As the hike wore on he consumed Ibuprofen for some pain and some other herbs he takes with his energy bar. I just drank water the twelve to fifteen miles we were covering I did not and normally dont eat a lot when I hike. After our hike I pulled a cold Heineken out of my cooler I knew that was his favorite. I had a bottle of water.

So when we said good by I reminded him of all the concoctions he consumed and said my Coke could not have been that bad. He laughed and reminded me of the time we had pizza and and several beers before going to the summit of Adams to watch the Perseid meteor shower. With a couple more beers in our packs, which was a waste of energy.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mayhem

Re: How we perceive whats healthy to consume.

Post by mayhem » June 25th, 2013, 9:00 am

Yep! It is true, what we Perceive!
My ex-wife... nothing bad to say about her. (How it went down) At the this time in my life I changed my lifestyle and based my diet on non- or mildly processed vegetarian food to see what would happen or even if I could do it. My wife wanted nothing to do with this. I think it was something like 3 months into the changes when I was in the kitchen eating a bowl of fiesta mixed vegetables & beans. My Ex-wife stopped me & asked when was I going to start eating regular food again? Keep in my mind she was eating a snickers & drinking a coke :) 3 months prior to this I also thought anything on the store shelf was normal food.

I'm not sure what to think other than do what we each think is best or beneficial for each of us :) I do love drinking Coke after hiking.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!