Done with bears and cougars, time to know about snakes

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Chase

Re: Done with bears and cougars, time to know about snakes

Post by Chase » June 5th, 2013, 11:55 am

Gaby, it is great that you are considering all the "what if" scenarios and what to do, but the biggest things you need to think about are probably your navigation skill level, the weather, and your personal condition/ability on the trail. If you are going to be wary of anything in the animal kingdom, make it people. There are scorpions and spiders and other things that can hurt you, yes. Statistically speaking, though, you will have more trouble because you are lost or a storm is moving in or you forgot to bring an extra jacket and you are getting hypothermia.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 5th, 2013, 12:12 pm

And when you venture forth, enthusiastically, from trailhead, have a little fear of finding your way back - look back towards trailhead occasionally so you'll remember the landmarks to return.

Then, hopefully, if conditions deteriorate, you'll still be able to find your way back.

gaby

Post by gaby » June 5th, 2013, 2:24 pm

Psnal condition and ability on trail are good, navigation skills in practice! :)

LaceyGraph

Post by LaceyGraph » August 2nd, 2013, 1:33 am

I've heard of Night Snakes in Portland but have never seen them anywhere.
I have a real phobia about snakes, lizards and all those nasty creatures. I live in a place where there aren't much of them, but I still come across snakes sometimes. Each time when I see a snake I freak out. This guide helps me a lot http://www.askwiki.net/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Snakes . Besides, I visit some psychology resources http://www.phobias.about.com/od/phobias ... phobia.htm . Is there anyone afraid of snakes? How do you cope with your fear?