Is Counter Assault the best for bears?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Koda

Re: Is Counter Assault the best for bears?

Post by Koda » June 3rd, 2013, 6:55 pm

Gaby,

Myself and others tend to downplay the risk of animal attacks here in Oregon because the risk is really that low.

That said, the state does have a healthy population of wild critters, cougars and bears. What I suggest you do is carry that pepper spray until over time you find your own level of comfort that works for you. Counter Assault only weighs 8oz so its not a huge burden to carry. It works great on critters like cougars and even better on criminals too.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

gaby

Post by gaby » June 3rd, 2013, 7:53 pm

You guys give me peace of mind! I love animals i wish we could all do great and not to be afraid of each other!
Hope to see u in the trails and share some hikes!
Feel free to aware me of any other subject i should know about. Thx! :)

raven

Post by raven » June 3rd, 2013, 10:35 pm

If you do carry bear spray, rig it high on a shoulder strap so you can grab it quickly with your dominant hand and pull the safety with your teeth. If you need it, there may be no time for fiddling. That what I would do, but I've never come close to needing it.

Also practice with it on a calm day -- a half second or so burst is both confidence building and educational. Leaves plenty in the can for later.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 4th, 2013, 11:03 am

Bears in Oregon and Washington just run away, usually before you even know they're there

Cougars watch you but you never know about it so you don't have to worry

Get camera ready and if you're lucky you can get a picture

gaby

Post by gaby » June 4th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Cool! I just deleted my reminder of buying the spray! I will remove the "S" and instead of "spray" I will just "pray" ;)

Helen

Post by Helen » June 7th, 2013, 10:01 pm

I have a can a bear mace. I some times arrive at trail heads fairly early in the AM and I don't always feel safe when few people are around. Once I get a few miles into the hike I feel better.

It's also good to carry on long distance trips for when stopping at rest stops.