Hiking SOS apps

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
gaby

Hiking SOS apps

Post by gaby » June 2nd, 2013, 5:42 am

Hi :) Does anybody know about an Android compatible app that sends messages to ur family if ur lost?

kepPNW

Re: Hiking SOS apps

Post by kepPNW » June 2nd, 2013, 7:21 am

gaby wrote:Does anybody know about an Android compatible app that sends messages to ur family if ur lost?
Not sure how a phone would "know" you're lost?

ViewRanger will send your coordinates to the Internet, for anyone (you let) to know where you are IF/WHEN you have a cell signal.

The feature you'd want to look it is called BuddyBeacon.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » June 2nd, 2013, 7:41 am

kepPNW wrote: IF/WHEN you have a cell signal. [/url].
Karl hit the nail on the head. I have Viewranger on my Droid, and it's a fine app, but I wouldn't rely on my phone for rescue. There just isn't much coverage in the backcountry. You may be able to get a signal a high points, but rarely down lower, except when you're near highways. If you really want a reliable SOS tool, buy a personal locator beacon like the ACR ResQLink. It'll set you back $280, but it works anywhere, and there's no service fee. It weighs less than 5 oz. I carry mine in the waistbelt pocket on my pack for ready access.

By the way, as long as you pre-load the maps, Viewranger really is a fine GPS app for hiking. Used that way, you don't need a data connection. It will, however, put a pretty big load on your battery.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 2nd, 2013, 7:55 am

Brad and I were really surprised yesterday, to find we had better reception on Augspurger (all bars!) then either of us do at home! Then we turned to our north, and there loomed Defiance! :) (Had to text home that we'd "vastly underestimated" ;) our return time.)

Cellphone GPS is an absolute battery killer, yeah. :(
Karl

jdemott

Post by jdemott » June 2nd, 2013, 8:22 am

There is an app called Bugle that will send a text to friends or family if you don't check in on schedule from a hike, but I think it is only available for the iPhone not Android. Maybe there is something simliar for Android. There are devices called Spot Connect that will pair with a smart phone and allow a satellite signal to be sent if you need help, but they are expensive and require a subscription.

gaby

Post by gaby » June 2nd, 2013, 1:53 pm

God guys ur helpful! Ok, i just got the ViewRanger app and read excellent reviews. I understand the signal issue... i carry two batteries for my phone n each lasts about 6 hours with gps on... I just bought a Suunto watch that allows me to create routes and has a goback mode to not get lost. I still dont know if View Ranger sends a s.o.s. message... i guess not? Since i am buying everything at the same time I am spending a good chunk so i will hold a little to see if i will need the Beacon and if so i will buy it in Portland. Thx sooo much.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 2nd, 2013, 5:17 pm

gaby wrote:I still dont know if View Ranger sends a s.o.s. message... i guess not?
I think you need to better define what it is you consider that to be. I'll say, no, ViewRanger has no way of knowing you're in trouble. All it does is upload your coordinates on a schedule. If it can do that, then you can send an SOS via either text or voice. Assuming your conscious. If you're not, again, no way (that I can imagine) for the phone to know that...
Karl

gaby

Post by gaby » June 2nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

There is this app Guard My Angel that does send a text to a contact of ur choice if u didnt make it to ur destination but i cant use it in Android, apparently works with Iphone (but i dont have one so i cant assure it)

Koda

Post by Koda » June 2nd, 2013, 8:54 pm

There is an Android app called bSafe that sends a text to whoever you want with your GPS position...
Just push the big red SOS button to text/call them with information on your exact location and that you need help. It`s as simple as that!
When walking alone you can ask selected friends to follow you LIVE from a distance with real-time GPS tracing, or if you are jogging or hiking you can program your bSafe SOS alarm to trigger automatically if you have not checked in within a predefined time. All developed to keep you safe!
Again, it only works when you have cell reception.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... safe&hl=en

I cant validate how well this app works, I only googled it for you.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

gaby

Post by gaby » June 3rd, 2013, 5:37 am

I am trying the free version of bSafe and so far it works! I may try the upgrade and let u know! :) Thx u :)))