Question about natural spring water.

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
retired jerry

Re: Question about natural spring water.

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2013, 5:39 pm

Hmmm.. the opening on the Sawyer bag seems quite small... :)

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 22nd, 2013, 5:57 pm

retired jerry wrote:Hmmm.. the opening on the Sawyer bag seems quite small...
But I can pee a perfect circle in the snow! Still, I'll work on my aim more ;)

EMTStolz

Post by EMTStolz » May 22nd, 2013, 11:23 pm

Might be ok to drink, might not. I would be really cautious about drinking it after it has rained recently. If the water is collected into the pipe within a few feet of the surface of the ground or if the surface of the ground is wet in that area, then it may be contaminated with bacteria.

Pyxis Laboratories does Coliform/Bacteria testing for drinking water . I sometimes take samples there from the drinking water system I manage. You would have to visit them first and pick up a sample bottle. Be sure to follow the Sampling Instructions, or at least the ones that apply in this case. It is a very touchy test that is easily messed up.
What are coliform bacteria?
Coliform bacteria are indicator bacteria in drinking water tests. These organisms are found everywhere in nature. However, coliform bacteria in drinking water indicate contamination of the system. There are two main types of coliform bacteria - Total and Fecal. Total coliform in drinking water can cause intestinal distress and upset in people but are rarely anything dangerous. Fecal coliform are associated with sewage or animal wastes and indicate a serious breakdown in treatment or contamination in the water system. Immediate action is required to correct the problem.

EMTStolz

Post by EMTStolz » May 22nd, 2013, 11:32 pm

And Here is a list provided by the Oregon Health Authority Drinking Water Program of other laboratories that provide testing services to the public.

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 23rd, 2013, 6:30 pm

I'm so glad I decided to propose this question, you all have been a great help. I already purchased the Sawyer SP191 bucket gravity filter, so when that arrives I'll set it up and begin filtering process. And I'll call the Waterlab Corp in Salem tomorrow and see how much they charge to test a sample for me. Fantastic! I'll finally be drinking water that doesn't taste like a city sink. Thanks again, everyone.

Chase

Post by Chase » May 23rd, 2013, 6:43 pm

Your choice is to drink tap water which is not going to make you sick* or drink water which may or may not make you sick and you are choosing the risky one? And lugging 80 pounds to your car and into your home to take this chance? Seems like a lot of work unless you really hate your tap water.

*Or will it?

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 23rd, 2013, 6:46 pm

At least you don't have to worry about Fluoride being in your tap water

If you live in Portland

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 23rd, 2013, 7:06 pm

Chase wrote:Your choice is to drink tap water which is not going to make you sick* or drink water which may or may not make you sick and you are choosing the risky one? And lugging 80 pounds to your car and into your home to take this chance? Seems like a lot of work unless you really hate your tap water.

*Or will it?
Yeah, I know right? It does seem nuts to drive twenty miles, fill up 5 gallon jugs, drive back home, filter water, then drink. But... I'm one of those weirdos who would rather err on the side of caution and NOT drink fluoride, regardless of whether it does or doesn't lower IQ, increase cancer risk, damage thyroid, etc. I've read that fluoride, when taken orally, doesn't do much to fight cavities anyway, so I don't see the point in taking a chance with it if I don't have to. That's just me though.

Chase

Post by Chase » May 23rd, 2013, 7:26 pm

Ahh, fluoride thing. Simple solution: move to Portland.