Question about natural spring water.

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
solarjinx

Question about natural spring water.

Post by solarjinx » May 22nd, 2013, 3:31 pm

On my way to hike Mary's Peak, I discovered a natural flowing spring on Kings Hwy 223 between milepost 15 and 16. I'm pretty excited about this, seeing how I refuse to drink my tap water, and I bought two 5 gallon water jugs to fill up. As one empties I will take it back for a refill, always having the other to drink from. My question is this: would you filter this spring water before drinking? Would you have a sample of it tested somewhere? I know this isn't really relevant to hiking, but it's a close enough topic I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by solarjinx on May 22nd, 2013, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

potato

Re: Question about natural spring water.

Post by potato » May 22nd, 2013, 3:41 pm

I guess I'm confused about why a natural spring is coming out of a PVC pipe...
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

thegreatjesse

Post by thegreatjesse » May 22nd, 2013, 3:47 pm

Personally, I'd filter it. I lived in Pennsylvania before I moved to Oregon, and many people out there fill up big tanks and run it through a household filtration system, because much of the accessible ground water resources are high in iron and often contain pollutants. If you don't have room for a household filtration system, you could use something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-PointTwo-P ... B0051HHNJ8

You could probably have it tested by contacting the local water authority; the EPA might be able to help you contact them, if you can't find the information yourself.
facebook /r/PNWHiking

I write gear reviews and sell things on OutdoorTrailGear. Check it out, if you like reading about gear or buying things.

"For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure." - Rusty Shackleford

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 22nd, 2013, 4:14 pm

potato wrote:I guess I'm confused about why a natural spring is coming out of a PVC pipe...
Well, that makes two of us. My only guess is that it was discovered, became popular (since it is literally right next to that main road), and someone decided to pipe it for convenience? Dunno for sure, but I'm still excited.

@thegreatjesse Oh man, that filter is perfect! And what's cool is that I JUST bought a Sawyer Squeeze to replace my Katadyn pump filter for my hiking trips, and I'm really pleased with my new set-up. Looks like Sawyer is going to dominate my household. Thanks for that link, I really appreciate it.

thegreatjesse

Post by thegreatjesse » May 22nd, 2013, 4:26 pm

Awesome! Glad to help out.. I use the Squeeze for backpacking also; be careful with those stupid Sawyer bags. I had one break last summer which made for a crummy situation.

potato remembers.

The Evernew watercarry bags match the filter and are a bit more robust than the Sawyer bags. Also SmartWater bottles!
facebook /r/PNWHiking

I write gear reviews and sell things on OutdoorTrailGear. Check it out, if you like reading about gear or buying things.

"For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure." - Rusty Shackleford

Guy

Post by Guy » May 22nd, 2013, 4:44 pm

So, a few questions I would have would be:

How do you know it's a a Spring & not just a pipe into a hillside seep or wet area?
How do you know that water isn't hanging around on the surface for a while before trickling into that PVC pipe?
I wonder how many people pee in the trees while they are stopped there?

I'd definitely get it checked for giardia. Well actually I wouldn't because I drink tap water ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 22nd, 2013, 5:09 pm

Guy wrote:So, a few questions I would have would be:

How do you know it's a a Spring & not just a pipe into a hillside seep or wet area?
How do you know that water isn't hanging around on the surface for a while before trickling into that PVC pipe?
I wonder how many people pee in the trees while they are stopped there?

I'd definitely get it checked for giardia. Well actually I wouldn't because I drink tap water
I did some online research and from what I gather, it's definitely a spring that has been piped. I couldn't get very much information beyond that though, although one person had this to say about it:

"I just went to this spring today, nice drive from Eugene, and I’ve gathered some info about it:
TDS: 38
Temperature: 50 degrees
The area is pretty rural and the spring, although it’s right next to the road, doesn’t seem to
exposed until it comes out of the side of the hill. I climbed up the hill some (wouldn’t advise that) and the spring appears to be underground. Tastes good and silky :)
If your heading north than start looking for the large gravel pullout a half mile after the sharp corner coming out of Pedee. The pullout is on the right and go to the end and the spring is on the left. You have to cross the highway to fill up."

P.S. I'm jealous that you Portlandians don't have fluoride in your water and I'm happy that ya'll voted down the recent effort to do so. Congrats!

Koda

Post by Koda » May 22nd, 2013, 5:14 pm

guy beat me to my reply.

The only thing I can add to considering the source of the water is maybe if its truly a deep underground source then your fine? But I have seen some springs that are a result of a flat area just uphill from it... elk poop galore, dead animals, anything can be up there.

The creepiest drinking water I've consumed was backpacking a couple summers ago and our only watersource at camp was a small shallow tarn of warmish water that the elk wallowed through and shit all over in. We filtered our water AND boiled it.... and it still tasted funny.

*edit, looks like you beat me to my reply too, and you've done your homework on the spring. Let us know how you feel in a week though... kidding :)
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 22nd, 2013, 5:21 pm

There's a spring on highway 26 just East of the rest area about 20 miles East of the ocean. The constructed stone drinking fountain structures. I think locals come from all around and use that water unfiltered.

I can think of springs in the wilderness that I drink unfiltered, like North of Devil's Peak or several West of the Three Sisters. Knebal Springs East of Mt Hood. Couple in Mill Creek Wilderness.

It just depends on the spring.

I've been using the Squeeze. Pretty happy with it. I've heard the bags break so I've been babying mine, okay so far. I've heard those Evernews are supposed to be better, but it's hard to find them.

solarjinx

Post by solarjinx » May 22nd, 2013, 5:26 pm

The Evernew watercarry bags match the filter and are a bit more robust than the Sawyer bags. Also SmartWater bottles!
I've been using the Squeeze. Pretty happy with it. I've heard the bags break so I've been babying mine, okay so far. I've heard those Evernews are supposed to be better, but it's hard to find them.
Apparently everyone is figuring that out at the same time because I could only find one online store that still had Evernew bags in stock, so I purchased two of them and they just arrived. Bam! I think I'll use the weak-seamed Sawyer bag as my piss bag, that way I don't have to get out of my tent in the middle of the night, ha.