Hikes to toughen a dogs pads

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
SCtoPDX

Hikes to toughen a dogs pads

Post by SCtoPDX » April 17th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Hi all,
I'm headed for a week long Sierra Nevada backpacking trip in August, and want to take along one my dogs. I'm going to be traveling a lot on granite slabs and need to toughen my dogs pads up before the trip. Any day hike suggestions that would fit this bill? Most of the hikes I am aware of are just on dirt trails.

thanks in advance!

Grannyhiker

Re: Hikes to toughen a dogs pads

Post by Grannyhiker » April 17th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Paved surfaces work and are certainly the closest to rock slabs. The pumice on our volcanoes might help. I've found that beach sand tends to wear off the calluses from a dog's pads, though. Wearing a pack definitely helps. Start slowly, work up gradually, of course. Get your dog accustomed to wearing booties (hint, don't laugh at him, no matter how comical he acts--give him treats instead!).

Where in the Sierra? No dogs allowed in Yosemite or Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks.

SCtoPDX

Post by SCtoPDX » April 18th, 2013, 6:25 am

Grannyhiker-
thanks for the info! He's used to the pack, but hates his paws being touched...booties may be an issue, but I've got time to work him into them.
I am headed to John Muir Wilderness; specifically Bear Lakes Basin.

lisaeirene

Post by lisaeirene » January 5th, 2015, 11:38 am

Our black lab/pit bull mix has a lot of paw pad issues. She tears them so easily!!! After many injuries and vet visits, we've gotten pretty good at identifying when there is going to be an issue and try to let her rest for awhile so they don't tear.

We've tried the musher's stuff (it's like vaseline) but didn't see any great difference and used in snow it comes off easily. The ultra paws booties (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049B ... UTF8&psc=1) have been a life saver! Not sure how safe they'd be in your situation because the dog may need good traction, but the booties have worked great for our dog on hikes and snowshoeing.

Afterward I always put the Meg Tek cream on her paws. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061 ... UTF8&psc=1