10 Common Myths about Ticks

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 8th, 2013, 5:29 pm

I occasionally post a link to one of my blog articles when it seems like it's of general interest over here, and in this case, it's a piece on TICKS! Sort of a companion to the poison oak article I wrote awhile back. Here's the link:

Caution: it might leave you kinda itchy... :? :shock: :lol:

Tom ;)

kepPNW

Re: 10 Common Myths about Ticks

Post by kepPNW » April 8th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Seems to be a theme today. The Columbian had a big piece on them, too...

Tick season arrives in Washington | The Columbian
http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/apr/ ... n-is-here/

It was actually more than a puff piece. The state is attempting to map where they are, and what noxious stuff they're carrying along with them. They'd like you to mail them your "contributions" for their study. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards » April 8th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Good article. I've been a tick magnet it seems all my life. The low elevations along the Clackamas, where it doesn't snow much, like Fish Creek and the SF, have yielded alot of ticks over the years. I just hope we never see the day that we have a tick invasion here in the city. Im sure exterminators would take care of it. Cant imagine going out to mow the lawn and come in with ticks :? Hope that day doesn't come in my life
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 8th, 2013, 7:10 pm

One thing about that itchy feeling: Look before you scratch! If you scratch a tick, it will promptly imbed deep in your flesh. You really don't want that! (Been there, done that.)

If you don't want to tuck pants in socks, or if (like me) you wear short socks with trail running shoes, then shortie gaiters (or even long ones) will do the job. Keep your shirt tucked in, too. If you don't want to use permethrin on your clothes (maybe because you have a cat), then following the above plus a line of Deet around your wrists, neck and hairline should do the job. Deet has been known have nasty effects on some synthetic fabrics and plastic. Permethrin, of course, should never be used on bare skin (follow the label instructions carefully).

I have never seen as many ticks as my dog acquired during a camping trip along the California coast from the Bay area south! The worst was after a short hike in a city park in the hills above Palo Alto. I must have combed off a hundred ticks that were crawling around on his fur looking for a home! Fortunately, none had bitten him yet.

Growing up in Wyoming in the 1940's and 1950's, we had to get a series of shots (4, I believe) every spring to prevent Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. It wasn't until the late 1950's that antibiotics were developed that were powerful enough to cope with it. People still die of this disease, usually because they ignore the early symptoms.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 8th, 2013, 10:24 pm

Great tips, Granny. I've also experimented with using bicycle pants protectors to simply close off my hiking pants at the ankle, which seems to work okay. My reason for this is to keep my socks out of the poison oak!

Places where I've given a tick(s) a ride home with me or plucked one (or more) off at the trailhead:

Eagle Creek
Herman Creek
Starvation Creek
Viento Creek/Bluffs
Hood River Mountain
McCall Point
Rowena Plateau
Dalles Mountain

Like Brian, I'm a freaking tick magnet..! :lol:

Tom :)

Limey

Post by Limey » April 9th, 2013, 8:52 am

I personally really enjoy being woke up in the middle of the night by a crawling tick. :shock: Damn cats, I've told them "We don't pick up hitchhikers". :lol:

Marilyn

Chase

Post by Chase » April 9th, 2013, 9:06 am

Ticks can be superheroes:

http://youtu.be/yIpfFeSFVxE?t=9m16s

Make sure you hit "skip ad".

hlee

Post by hlee » April 9th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Thanks for the information. Read through the entire thing, despite having the creepy crawlies the whole time. The thought of a (basically) spider burrowing its head into my flesh and having to be pried out of it... I know I'm not unique, but it really makes my stomach turn. Have never had one on my person, but just a matter of time I suppose. *knock on wood*

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Chase

Post by Chase » April 9th, 2013, 12:44 pm

Splintercat wrote:Great tips, Granny. I've also experimented with using bicycle pants protectors to simply close off my hiking pants at the ankle, which seems to work okay. My reason for this is to keep my socks out of the poison oak!

Places where I've given a tick(s) a ride home with me or plucked one (or more) off at the trailhead:

Eagle Creek
Herman Creek
Starvation Creek
Viento Creek/Bluffs
Hood River Mountain
McCall Point
Rowena Plateau
Dalles Mountain

Like Brian, I'm a freaking tick magnet..! :lol:

Tom :)
Got one on Augsburger a few years back.

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » April 9th, 2013, 5:54 pm

Great article, Tom. I am living proof of myth one being a hoax. Four ticks have tried to buffet me(three were western black legged ticks) with two coming from the northern coast range, one a bit west of archer mountain and one last year on the coldwater lake trail north of st helens. By the time its all over I may hold the record :o Time to start taking GH/Splints advice!!

I think Peder and Cascade Hiker said they have never been bitten and Don and Eric only one tick each.