Hiking Safety

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
rtsunset

Hiking Safety

Post by rtsunset » March 28th, 2013, 7:02 am

Hi everyone. My wife and I will be spending about a month this summer out in Oregon, hiking and taking pictures, just enjoying the beauty. Spending a few weeks in the Gorge area and then a week at Sisters/Bend and finally Eugene before heading home. Anyway, two quick questions...

First, safety. Are there any precautions we need to take? Are black bears or cougars a problem or do we just need to be alert like all of our past hikes? This is for all areas of the state if you can answer....

Second, while in the Gorge, I have so many hikes planned to take waterfall pictures. It seems like it might be easier to just park and hike all day to the different falls (as they seem pretty close from the maps I look at) instead of walking in and out to the car, drive down the road, park , do it all over again. What say you all? :)

Thanks - and love the site. it's been very helpful in my planning so far.

Randy

payslee

Re: Hiking Safety

Post by payslee » March 28th, 2013, 8:04 am

If you'll be day hiking in the gorge, the only real safety issue is to make sure you don't fall down / off a steep embankment when you are taking pictures of the beautiful falls. And stay on the trail if you are allergic to poison oak.

There are bear and cougar up there, but even catching a glimpse of one is very rare in the gorge - they are wary of people in almost all cases. The only places I can think of where to my own knowledge people have had non-running-away bear encounters around here are the Siouxon area in Washington, and way down at the Rogue River. Even camping overnight, most folks hang their food to keep it out of reach of chipmunks rather than big fellas.

And yes, you can connect lots of the waterfall trails on the gorge by foot, but depending on how ambitious you are, that mileage starts adding up pretty quick! The "old highway" is very pretty to drive on but be aware that it is a narrow curvy road, busy with tourists on the weekend, and without any shoulder or sidewalk in most places. There are places where the "400" trail at the bottom of the gorge connects trailheads, and those places are fine for walking (notably, between the Wahkeena and Oneonta sections, which would give you probably 15 miles of hiking if you hit the Multnomah-Wahkeena loop then Oneonta/Ponytail falls loop and walked between them). And some waterfall highlights, like Eagle Creek to Crossover falls , are a good 13-mile hike all by themselves. And worth it.

Have a great trip. In my experience, hiking in Oregon is safe and friendly, especially if you're making your plans ahead of time, like you are.

-payslee

payslee

Post by payslee » March 28th, 2013, 8:07 am

Oh, and I've run across rattlesnakes while hiking in both the Bend and Eugene areas. Again, they are not agressive - they do not want to be stepped on. Mostly only an issue if you are scrambling up rock piles and not watching where you put your hands.

-payslee

mattisnotfrench

Post by mattisnotfrench » March 28th, 2013, 8:14 am

I wouldn't be worried about cougars or black bears. They're out there but you likely won't see them in the places you plan on hiking. Our critters tend to be a lot more shy than their brethren in Washington and California. Be alert, of course! One thing you do have to watch out for is poison oak. It looks like this:
Wyeth poison oak.JPG
If you don't want to drive to like 5 different trailheads in one day I recommend making your hikes loops that hit a bunch of different falls at once. You could do these three hikes:

* Latourell Falls Loop
* Multnomah-Wahkeena Loop
* Horsetail Falls-Oneonta Creek-Triple Falls Loop

Between those three hikes you'll see Latourell, Upper Latourell, Wahkeena, Fairy, Weisendanger, Multnomah, Horsetail, Ponytail and Triple Falls. If you are really athletic you can do two or all three of those hikes in one day. After you hike the Latourell Falls Loop, be sure to stop at Shepard's Dell Falls and Bridal Veil Falls, which are really close. When you do the third loop, don't forget to hike up Oneonta Gorge afterwards:

Then you would need to move on to these hikes:

* Elowah / Upper McCord Falls
* Wahclella Falls
* Eagle Creek
* Dry Creek Falls
* Lower Starvation Loop

Between those five hikes you'll see Elowah, Upper McCord, Wahclella, Metlako, Punchbowl, Skoonichuck, Tunnel, Twister, Dry Creek, Starvation Creek, Cabin Creek, Hole in the Wall and Lancaster Falls. That should pretty much cover you for the gorge unless you want to start bushwhacking and rappelling.

Depending on when you are here this summer, don't miss a chance to hike up in the high Cascades! They're spectacular in the summer, which is of course the only time you can hike there.

Have fun!
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

Koda

Post by Koda » March 28th, 2013, 8:45 am

rtsunset wrote: First, safety. Are there any precautions we need to take?
dont leave anything valuable in your car, especially in the Gorge. Might consider leaving your car unlocked...
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 28th, 2013, 10:26 am

Same as above - main safety issue is people breaking into your car

Leave nothing valuable visible

Some trailheads have more break-ins, like Angel's Rest.

Maybe Eagle Creek at the front next to the fish hatchery would be better, but it can be very crowded, lots of scenic falls along the way.

Multnomah Falls same thing - and if you're a tourist you should check out the falls even though it's a mob scene.

Maybe do the more crowded hikes mid week

rtsunset

Post by rtsunset » April 1st, 2013, 5:51 am

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. We can't wait to get out west and enjoy your beautiful state :)

raven

Post by raven » April 1st, 2013, 3:29 pm

The gorge was covered well in the discussion. But you said "summer", and that word may not mean what you think it does around here -- after you leave the gorge area. When will you be in Oregon -- which end of which month?

rtsunset

Post by rtsunset » April 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm

We will be there in mid August through Labor Day week. Yes, the northwest "summers" are not really summer to us Florida folk, however, I LOVE the cool weather and low humidity compared to our upper 90's and sweat heat here in Florida. We have been hiking in Glacier, Jasper/Banff, Washington (Olympic NP) last few summers and now we are hitting Oregon. 3/4 of the trip is for me and my pictures and the last part of the trip is for the wife and Willamette Valley wines. Either way, your "hot" is perfect for us :)

raven

Post by raven » April 2nd, 2013, 12:52 pm

The temperature/humidity was not the point. If you were arriving in June or July snow would be an issue in the mountains west of Bend. That's a non-issue for your date of arrival.

The temperatures may be lower than you expect, though, and the impact of altitude greater after a day or 2 of hiking at around 6000'. The effects of altitude on a sea-level adapted individual on a given trip are hard to predict. The inexperienced do not pace themselves well.