Hiking Safety

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
rtsunset

Re: Hiking Safety

Post by rtsunset » April 2nd, 2013, 6:07 pm

We have encountered snow before on many of the trails - well in to early August (Glacier and Banff) so this time around we decided to hit mid to late August to come hiking. From what I read, most of Mt. Hood trails and Bend area peaks are free of snow so as much as I enjoy seeing the snow - it is a bit hard to hike with 50 lbs of camera equipment (as I am a semi-professional photographer). This trip for me is mainly about the waterfalls so I am hitting as many as I can get to in my three weeks before we relax and unwind at The Allison Inn for the final days.
I am surprised about all the car break ins I have read about. We’ve never had any problems on our other trips. That is sad that people can't just go enjoy the great outdoors without fear they won't have their valuables when they return. I only take what I need for the hikes and pictures, the rest stays back at the hotel, so there won't be anything to steal from my car :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 2nd, 2013, 6:16 pm

By the way, I don't think car break-ins are any worse than they used to be.

If you take reasonable precautions (don't leave anything valuable visible, maybe avoid some of the worst trailheads?) you should be okay. I've never been broken into (knock on wood).

Markh752

Post by Markh752 » April 3rd, 2013, 7:56 pm

rtsunset wrote:I only take what I need for the hikes and pictures, the rest stays back at the hotel, so there won't be anything to steal from my car :)
You won't have anything to worry about. I like to leave my glove box open so that a would be thief knows that I also took my registration and proof of insurance with me... nothing to steal here please move on. :lol: As an added bonus, if some numskull does decide to make me purchase a new window, I will have my insurance card when I return to my car.
retired jerry wrote:By the way, I don't think car break-ins are any worse than they used to be.
I agree!

romann

Post by romann » April 3rd, 2013, 11:10 pm

Another thing to plan is getting Northwest Forest Pass. It's about $30 annual pass and ~$5 day-pass, and most places that require them don't sell them. The only big hiking area of those you are going to visit that doesn't require a pass is trailheads on Historic Highway in the Gorge (roughly between exits 25-35 along I-84). In the eastern Gorge, as well as everywhere on Mt. Hood (except Timberline Lodge) and Sisters you will need to leave a pass on a dash of your car.

Late August into September is great timing.

Peder

Post by Peder » April 4th, 2013, 8:50 am

You do not mention visiting the coast (and there are fewer waterfalls out there), but it is definitely interesting. I frequently do something along these lines. Secondly, Mt St Helens is well worth a visit, Harry's Ridge is an 8 mile hike from the Johnston Ridge Observatory (You will need a National Park Pass here, or there is an $8 (?) per person fee).
DSC01360.jpg
On the way to Harry's Ridge
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

rtsunset

Post by rtsunset » April 4th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Glad you brought up the topic of the forest pass. I was wondering if I could just buy one on line before the trip. I will be looking into that soon.

We might take a day or two to do the coast but once we get on that side of the cascades, I promised my wife that I will slow down on the pics and just do Silverton State Park and then it's relaxing time at The Allison Inn & Spa for probably some much needed rest. I'd like to drive over to the coast to get a few light house pictures but that last week is wine and dine time for us both so the hikes will be far and few between. :)

gaby

Post by gaby » May 15th, 2013, 6:47 pm

Matissnotfrench! What a great suggestion on water falls! I ll be in Portland during summer n will make sure to them all! Thx! :)