Shin Splints or ???

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
potato

Re: Shin Splints or ???

Post by potato » March 15th, 2013, 3:54 pm

texasbb wrote:I'm not advocating a forefoot strike while walking--not even sure how you'd pull that off without hurting other things, including your pride. :lol:
It's possible! I can't say it hurts anything (other than my pride). :) people call it fox-walking. The gist of it is here (video if you scroll down a bit) http://rewild.info/anthropik/2007/06/le ... index.html
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

BradW

Post by BradW » March 17th, 2013, 5:39 pm

Thanks to all for the info

I'm feeling better and planning to get back out there on Friday.

I've been adhering to a pretty rigorous workout program with a focus on my legs, so I suppose we will see if it helps.... Along with just getting out there of course

Stefrobrts

Post by Stefrobrts » March 18th, 2013, 8:06 pm

If you continue to have leg pain, you might look into getting a different pair of shoes. I switched to a supportive set of running shoes, and I went to Fit Right in Fishers Landing and got evaluated for them, so I got a pair that fits really well, and my shin pain went away.

I'm also getting back into it this year after a couple years off. I think you said you were up in our old neighborhood, we just moved down into Vancouver from Heisson. Good luck on reaching your goals. If I meet my goals, I'll finally get to the top of Silver Star this year :)
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

BradW

Post by BradW » March 25th, 2013, 10:26 am

I did 5.1 miles yesterday and didn't have near the impact as the 3.3 did two weeks ago. I think it was just my muscles objecting to the idea of having to work after such a long period off (like, decades)

potato

Post by potato » March 25th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Glad to hear it.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)