Has anyone tried Tegaderm bandages?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
vibramhead

Has anyone tried Tegaderm bandages?

Post by vibramhead » December 11th, 2012, 1:36 pm

These look like a pretty cool innovation for a first aid kit, if a bit expensive. Anyone tried them?
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Grannyhiker

Re: Has anyone tried Tegaderm bandages?

Post by Grannyhiker » December 11th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Highly recommended in my Wilderness First Aid class. Clean the wound thoroughly, put on a very thin layer of antibiotic ointment, then the Tegaderm bandage. You don't need to remove it and you can check for infection several times daily. Also very thin and light.

I found them in the local Walgreen's.

roadtripmom

Post by roadtripmom » December 11th, 2012, 9:05 pm

I use these at work (ER) for skin tears on elderly folks. You can't stitch them because the skin is too fragile, but it keeps the torn skin in place over the wound so it can heal. Do not place a Tegaderm over an actively bleeding wound. Hold pressure with gauze until the bleeding is controlled then place the Tegaderm over the wound. They work really well !
Filling my bucket, one hike at a time.
Amanda

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » December 12th, 2012, 7:31 am

Much thanks, Granny & Roadtrip!

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » December 14th, 2012, 3:54 am

They're good on certain parts of the body...otherwise, completely useless as they don't stick very well. Any moving body part, I find they don't last very long (I use them when I have a paper cut or other wound open on my fingers or hands while at work). I also use them sometimes at work on my patients (also in the ER) but find there are other effective ways to dress a wound. What exactly were you thinking of using Tegaderm for?

Some of my favorite wound care stuff is: Mefix Tape (great for blister prevention on hotspots), Xeroform (abx infused gauze), Adaptic (non-stick gauze, great for road rash/abrasions), Telfa pads (non-stick gauze pads), Mepilex pads (super absorbant, great for infected wounds or really bad blisters)....I could go on. I worked in a Chronic Wound Care Clinic and love some of the technology out there...that being said, I carry minimal amounts of things in my pack for a FA kit. Like I've said before, if it can't be fixed with duct tape and a maxi pad, I can't help you... :)
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » December 14th, 2012, 8:03 am

renegadepilgrim wrote: What exactly were you thinking of using Tegaderm for?

I didn't have anything in particular in mind. Just thought I might throw a couple in my first aid kit, but it doesn't sound like they're worth going out of my way to find. Thanks for the alternative suggestions.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.