lost in the cold rain...

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Koda

Re: lost in the cold rain...

Post by Koda » December 18th, 2012, 10:39 pm

Crusak wrote: Now if I can just package it up & download it into my brain, safely tucked away in the 'break in case of emergency' section of my memory. :lol:
The problem is we spent 12 pages of discussion to prove that space blankets do work. In short, they do reflect heat, are waterproof, and are not breathable... keep the shiny side in.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm mostly replying to this thread cause I just now got an email that Crusak replied to this. I also am not getting emails of replies to other threads so... it is what it is.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 18th, 2012, 10:50 pm

No, no, no - shiny side goes out - you don't want to be a radiator

Actually, emergency blankets are pretty much the same on both sides so it's moot :)

Some of them have a colored side which might be different - that shiny side goes out

But, since they always picture it with shiny side in, maybe you're right...

Koda

Re: lost in the cold rain... (with a space blanket)

Post by Koda » December 18th, 2012, 11:05 pm

face*palm....

:roll:

recap:
"Space Blanket" = shiny on both sides.... if you wrap like a burrito, keep the shiny side out.... um...

"Emergency Blanket/tarp" = shiny on one side.... if you wrap like a burrito, keep the shiny side out.

Either: if you use as a tarp or ground cloth, keep the shiny side in.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 19th, 2012, 1:08 am

There was never a debate or doubt that they have some benefit.. It was all about the blanket directly on your skin ;)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 19th, 2012, 7:03 am

"There was never a debate or doubt that they have some benefit.. It was all about the blanket directly on your skin "

No, the debate was always just geeky physics and had nothing to do with anything practical :)

And the conclusion was we're not very good physicists :lol:

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » December 19th, 2012, 8:45 am

And this thread has gone on and on for 13 pages! :lol:

Lurch

Post by Lurch » December 19th, 2012, 10:03 am

retired jerry wrote:And the conclusion was we're not very good physicists :lol:
That's why we keep our feet in the dirt!

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » December 1st, 2013, 4:16 pm

Six months ago today I broke my fibula in three places at the end of a ten mile hike in the gorge ... thankfully it was less than 50yds to the trailhead and I had friends to help me hobble to the vehicle.

The topic of planning for an emergency overnight goes through my head at least twice a year when I review, repack and restock my day pack.

I often hike and snowshoe solo with my German Shorthair Pointer in pretty remote areas so I carry a pretty well-stocked day pack with gear for myself and the dog to hopefully tough it out overnight in cold (and hopefully dry) conditions.

Every year I replace my space blankets, hand warmer packs, duct tape and first-aid supplies as well as do a full gear check. At least twice a year I swap out the layers and some pieces of equipment based on temperatures.

Last year I picked up a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL at a used gear sale for $50. It supposedly had a leak. Reading this thread makes me think I should pitch it on the front lawn and see if it really has a leak or if was just condensation.

In an emergency the dog and I could squeeze in there. Heck, at just over 2 pounds I could toss out at least a pound of emergency shelter gear and throw this into my pack instead.

Thanks for the good reading and stimulating me to think further on my own solution ...
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow

raven

Post by raven » December 1st, 2013, 5:08 pm

You intend to pitch the Seedhouse with a broken leg, arranging the frame, then deploying the rainfly and finally crawling in ? If you are concerned about the need for emergency gear, you should also be concerned about the ability to deploy it when and wherever needed. Tents are problematical as emergency gear for soloists. For that reason I suggest you consider the Gatewood Cape or the equivalent, since you can rest sitting up in it with your dog at your feet sharing warmth.

4DMTNS

Post by 4DMTNS » December 1st, 2013, 7:24 pm

Thanks Raven, I'll look into it some more. I had good success pitching the Seedhouse while in the ankle brace when I couldn't bear weight on that dang fibula. It took me less than ten minutes to get the tent and fly all up. (It wasn't a graceful event and even involved some crawling around at one point.)
I'm almost always the sweep on my hikes ... it gives me an opportunity to taste test all the edible berries I seem to find.

Where's Chris?
Instagram WhereIsChrisNow