Getting old and hiking

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Roy

Getting old and hiking

Post by Roy » October 20th, 2012, 4:52 pm

I sometimes feel like there is an elephant lurking in many posts on this site getting older. Well that elephant sat on my back last year and damn near took away a lot of my favorite things to do. Make no mistake I made bad choices in my youth so at 54 I have a fused lower back with a pound of titanium and bone graphs ,12 ceramic screws in my right shoulder, stainless pins and no cartridge in my right knee and 25 percent of the cartridge removed from my left knee.

But in my mid 30's I ran 5 miles 5 days a week ran the Hamilton mt loop almost every Sunday morning.Considered Monitor ridge, the south summit route on Adams and the south side of Hood exercise did them all many times.

I always thought I would be a seventy something guy just a bit slower. When I ran the Hamilton loop almost weekly i did it regularly with man in his 70's a couple of times I tried to out do him he would pass if I tried that crap. So I thought that was the norm.

Well its not I been surfing the net seems marathon runners entries drops off about 25% at about 54years old,Iron man,Uutra marathons and long distance swimming its a lot bigger drop off.

I know a lot of my issues are my fault , I have friend 10 years younger I hike with his mom is 62 and almost incapacitated from heart issues his brother and cousins all in there in their 40's all already had stents implanted from blocked arteries. I may be full of hardware but blood work numbers and pressure are good I take no meds my family history is very good so I feel lucky compared to my friend.

Another friend had knee replacement 2 years ago so called sports version. The doc told him he could continue his life style only pain free. He was doing 20 plus mile hikes and skiing. Now he is having a tough time with his new knee cant do nearly what he did before. The doc said well I did not know you were talking about so much activity. He is adjusting like me now.

I question myself these days had I done things slower and more mellow would I be better off? And what did I ever really prove did I need to do that stuff.

Comments ideas your thoughts we all age and I am sure some will be doing loony hikes in their 70's :)

Tom/Roy
Last edited by Roy on October 21st, 2012, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Don Nelsen

Re: Getting old and hiking

Post by Don Nelsen » October 20th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Tom,

I'm a lot older than you so I can say with authority "it just gets worse!" Well actually, I'm surprised I've been so lucky and like you, realize that things I did in my youth are coming back to haunt me today. Some folks are better blessed, too: There's at least one guy on this board who, at 76, can still do a Looney hike - he's one of the very lucky ones but to his credit, has stayed in fantastic shape by going out and kicking butt on the trails every day he can. I think that's a big part of the secret: Use it or lose it. Genetics has some to do with it, but decent nutrition and regular activity is key.

We are all different and all will have problems, no matter what, as we grow older. I say just go out and do the best you can be for as long as you can. I've had lots of challenges - motorcycle accidents, car accidents a half dozen broken bones, major back surgery and over 300 stitches for a variety of things starting when I was just six years old. I survived and hope to keep hiking, exploring and enjoying what I have and what there is to explore and experience for many years to come. If it ends tomorrow, I can still say - what a ride!

I'm off to the midwest next week, Vegas the week after, Kona the last week in Nov. and Oahu and Molokai in Jan. - Never give up, plan for more than you can do and do what you can.

Just my 2 cents.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 20th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Roy wrote:I sometimes feel like there is an elephant lurking in many posts on this site getting older. Well that elephant sat on my back last year and damn near took away a lot of my favorite things to do.

I question myself these days had I done things slower and more mellow would I be better off? And what did I ever really prove did I need to do that stuff.

Comments ideas your thoughts we all age and I am sure some will be doing loony hikes in their 70's :)

Tom/Roy
Like Don eluded to, genetics, healthy living and luck certainly play a part. But this really grabbed me:
Don Nelsen wrote:...Never give up, plan for more than you can do and do what you can.
I'm not so sure that taking it easy is the answer. I've noticed that when I go for two or three weeks without hiking, then finally get out again, my fitness level has dropped. And I'm a guy who does moderate exercise. I get out and walk for 1-1/2 hrs five nights a week, and walk the stairs (1,000 steps a day) in the parking structure near my workplace. But the hiking really amps up my fitness level in a way that short periods of daily exercise can't.

I'm "only" 47, almost 48 yrs old. :) So I don't qualify as being old just yet. But in my late 40's I'm finding out that it is possible to be extremely active still! And it's a very thrilling discovery. I'm hoping that the 50's, 60's and 70's treat me well too.

Not to make this a 'share your injuries' thread, but I've been dealing with nagging issues myself for years. Significant circulation problems in both legs. ACL reconstruction. Double inguinal hernia surgery this year. Really though, compared to other issues, I feel pretty lucky. I've been able to adapt and endure.

Seeing what you've gone through, Tom, has had me wondering - what elephant is gonna come calling for ME next? The hernia repairs I had done in January were a big surprise! I was getting pretty cocky by the end of 2011 and pushing myself past the 18-20 mile mark on hikes (about where I'm at now?) and wham! Surprise, Crusak.

But like Don said - just gotta keep doing what you can. ;)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Roy

Post by Roy » October 21st, 2012, 1:49 am

Don Nelsen wrote:Tom,
If it ends tomorrow, I can still say - what a ride!

I'm off to the midwest next week, Vegas the week after, Kona the last week in Nov. and Oahu and Molokai in Jan. - Never give up, plan for more than you can do and do what you can.

Just my 2 cents.

Don
Nice response I think we do different things in the hills but we are not football couch dwellers.

What a ride agreed! Don't think I have the natural abilities you were given more of a grinder.

Watching the snow level and eye balling my ski gear always like a little kid this time of year.

My wife and I are even thinking of climbing Hood in March or April before the hoards show up. If conditions allow its a great time to do it and if my balance improves.

Midwest in the fall islands in winter jealous man hear :mrgreen: People give me funny looks when I say I am going to Iowa or North Dakota for a vacation see my my cousins and the fishing in ND is second to none.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » October 21st, 2012, 2:02 am

Crusak wrote:
Roy wrote:I sometimes feel like there is an elephant lurking in many posts on this site getting older. Well that elephant sat on my back last year and damn near took away a lot of my favorite things to do.

Tom/Roy
Like Don eluded to, genetics, healthy living and luck certainly play a part. But this really grabbed me:
Don Nelsen wrote:...Never give up, plan for more than you can do and do what you can.
I'm not so sure that taking it easy is the answer. I've noticed that when I go for two or three weeks without hiking, then finally get out again, my fitness level has dropped. And I'm a guy who does moderate exercise. I get out and walk for 1-1/2 hrs five nights a week, and walk the stairs (1,000 steps a day) in the parking structure near my workplace. But the hiking really amps up my fitness level in a way that short periods of daily exercise can't.

I'm "only" 47, almost 48 yrs old. :) So I don't qualify as being old just yet. But in my late 40's I'm finding out that it is possible to be extremely active still! And it's a very thrilling discovery. I'm hoping that the 50's, 60's and 70's treat me well too.

Not to make this a 'share your injuries' thread, but I've been dealing with nagging issues myself for years. Significant circulation problems in both legs. ACL reconstruction. Double inguinal hernia surgery this year. Really though, compared to other issues, I feel pretty lucky. I've been able to adapt and endure.

Seeing what you've gone through, Tom, has had me wondering - what elephant is gonna come calling for ME next? The hernia repairs I had done in January were a big surprise! I was getting pretty cocky by the end of 2011 and pushing myself past the 18-20 mile mark on hikes (about where I'm at now?) and wham! Surprise, Crusak.

But like Don said - just gotta keep doing what you can. ;)
I so wanted to do that Wilson river thru with you but I know that trail is not flat and easy. If I had gone the whole thing I would have slowed you up or silently sucked it up and kept pace and felt like hell for a week it was your day. Enjoyed the partial with you thanks for letting me come it was good exercise for me. That trail should not be underestimated.

Still got to do the elk creek section last part I have not done.

You got to get that knee brace back you looked like a bad ass road warrior when you wore it :lol:

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 21st, 2012, 8:23 am

Roy wrote:I so wanted to do that Wilson river thru with you but I know that trail is not flat and easy. If I had gone the whole thing I would have slowed you up or silently sucked it up and kept pace and felt like hell for a week it was your day. Enjoyed the partial with you thanks for letting me come it was good exercise for me. That trail should not be underestimated.

Still got to do the elk creek section last part I have not done.

You got to get that knee brace back you looked like a bad ass road warrior when you wore it :lol:
I was glad that you and Forestkeeper made cameo appearances that day. As for the knee brace... it was great to have when I needed it, but I think (hope... pray...) that I'll be okay without it. I did get a lot of interesting looks from people when they saw the brace. :) Funniest moment regarding the knee brace was when I told TFFs I was hiking with that I had to "change the batteries" in the brace, and I got some puzzled looks :lol: I actually just stopped to adjust it (because it constantly wanted to slide down my leg)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » October 21st, 2012, 12:54 pm

Keep going! If you've had injuries/surgery, it's super important to keep doing the exercises the physical therapy folks gave you. I expect to have to do them (for lower back, knees and now plantar fasciitis stretches) every day for the rest of my life. If I let them slide, I'm sorry!

Running is hard on the joints. I haven't been able to run at all since my knee injury/surgery back in the late 1980s. Not that I was ever much of a runner. Walking uses the same muscles but is far easier on the joints. It just takes a bit longer to get the same amount of aerobic exercise. I've found that if I walk with trekking poles, it turns walking into a whole-body exercise that exercises the core muscles. Some call this Nordic walking. You don't have to run or do loony hikes to get good exercise.

Wind Rivers pioneer Finis Mitchell said it all: "We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking."

kelkev

Post by kelkev » October 21st, 2012, 4:32 pm

As I cruise past my mid-40's, I've found that I've picked up a few issues that have limited my hiking mileages, mainly sesamoid pain in the balls of my feet.....basically, tiny little kernels called sesamoid bones that are at the base of the big toe joint. Been to an orthopedic surgeon, several podiatrists, physical therapy, etc, tried a couple of different custom orthotics, and a few types of foot pads, with very limited success. And have spent way too much money trying all the options. Something I'll probably have to live with, as surgery to remove these bones is not a guarantee of relief, and often times causes more problems than it solves. I have VERY high arches and narrow feet with little to no fat padding....also have a little knee pain on steep downhill descents. But all things considered, I'm lucky to be healthy, active, and a resident of the great PNW where hiking opportunities are awesome. I'm planning on hiking until I can't do it anymore. Which is hopefully a long, long time away! I try to stay active (walking in the neighborhood, biking to work, etc) which helps a bunch.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Roy

Post by Roy » October 26th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Crusak wrote:

Tom/Roy

My issue is staying in shape. The docs did not recommend swimming said the twisting of many hard laps on four fused disks, lifting is worse.

Pounding is almost as bad, walking is the best but I cant hike on days off and walk a lot and work with my knees. So if I can do moderate hikes on soft trails and ski intermediate groomed runs I am happy.

I know 2 people with knee replacements they are worse than me they were told promises that never came to be.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » October 27th, 2012, 1:32 am

So far I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I was more broken down & busted up as a teenager. I have been through the longest spell every... well in 25 years not needing an emergency room or urgent care visit for my back or anything else. I guess I just jinxed that. Serious though this is the best I have felt in over 25 years :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!