Sunblock for Hikers

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Splintercat

Sunblock for Hikers

Post by Splintercat » September 8th, 2012, 7:02 pm

A bit late in the season to be posting this, but it looks like we've got at least another week of summer weaher ahead of us.

Mostly, I wanted to give an update on my preferred sunscreen. For years, I've used a Neutrogena "Healthy Defense" solid stick style that is oil-free, fits in your pocket, doesn't melt, and is at least SPF 30. Then, Neutrogena abruptly discontinued this product last year! Booo!

Well, the good news is that you can now use the Neotrogena Pure & Free Baby Sunblock, instead. It seems to be identical to the old stick, although it now comes in SPF 60, so an improvement in sun protection. It's a bit spendy, but it lasts. The container is about the size of a small box of matches, so easily fits in your pocket.

I've tried it a couple times this summer, and seems to work great!

Tom :)

retired jerry

Re: Sunblock for Hikers

Post by retired jerry » September 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I've tried Titanium and Zinc Oxide sunscreen, and it comes off on clothes and when I sweat

How is this?

Titanium and Zinc Oxides are one of the few sunscreens that actually block UVA which causes skin cancer and skin aging

Koda

Post by Koda » September 8th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Splintercat wrote:.....but it looks like we've got at least another week of summer weaher ahead of us.

I predict way more than one week. keep that sunscreen handy.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » September 10th, 2012, 11:32 am

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are also the only sunscreens to which I'm not allergic. Interestingly, I just found out that my youngest grandson (age 7) has the same issue.