Cleaning a hydration bladder

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
jdemott

Cleaning a hydration bladder

Post by jdemott » September 6th, 2012, 10:14 am

After many years of using nalgene bottles for drinking water, I'm trying out a hydration bladder (an Osprey). After using it the first time, I found that it is pretty difficult to get it completely dry after rinsing it out, which seems like an invitation to growth of bacteria, etc. I see that Osprey sells a hydration cleaning system with two tools and a custom drying rack, plus special cleaning tablets for soaking the bladder. Compared to the ease of washing nalgene bottles in the dishwasher, that whole cleaning system looks like a big pain (plus another expense).

How do you clean and dry your hydration bladder? The manufacturer's system? A DIY alternative? Rinse and hope? What...you're supposed to clean them??

Have any of you tried hydration bladders and later abandoned them as being too fussy?

n.bumppo

Re: Cleaning a hydration bladder

Post by n.bumppo » September 6th, 2012, 10:31 am

jdemott wrote: Have any of you tried hydration bladders and later abandoned them as being too fussy?
Yes. The cleaning hassle beat out the convenience of sipping while I walked. I like electrolytes in my water and getting them cleaned out of the bladder became too hard.
Dave

potato

Post by potato » September 6th, 2012, 10:41 am

When I used hydration bladders I liked to blindly assume that the materials were microbe-inhibiting and so it didn't need to be cleaned. Worked OK for me :)

I did abandon the bladder for some simple 1-liter plastic drinking water bottles. Nothing compares to the ease of refilling by just dunking your bottle in a stream! I occasionally miss the convenience of a bladder, but I probably drank too much water (like a nervous habit) when I always had that tube hanging by my face. I also like the bottles because they are lighter than bladders and because I store them in the side pockets of my pack... even if they leak, it won't get any of my important things wet.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

kelkev

Post by kelkev » September 6th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I have a Deuter Streamer 3 liter bladder, made in Israel for Deuter by "Source". I've never had any problems with mold or mildew, I always wipe the inside of my bladder dry with paper towels before storing it. The tube is treated with something to inhibit mold/mildew, and it seems to work. I typically use the bladder on 10+ mile day hikes, but for shorter hikes I just use my Nalgene bottle(s) and sometimes throw in my Minworks EX MSR filter pump.
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

xrp

Post by xrp » September 6th, 2012, 4:30 pm

I use CamelBak's cleaning kit with hot soapy water.

I've found that in between uses if I leave it in the refrigerator there is virtually no bacteria build up.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 6th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I bought the cleaning kit for my Platypus 2L bladders but I've never used it. I think the Platypus products have some sort of antimicrobial treatment in the plastic, at least the stuff that the hose is made out of.

But I only drink water from the bladders. I've given it a good rinsing with super hot water after each time I use it, and then before I refill it again for the next trip out I wash it with hot water and little soap. I force the hot soapy water down the tube and out the bite valve.

I give the bite valve a good washing before every trip. So far no issues, except that on my last hike (after 70+ hikes) the bite valve started doing the slow drip... time to replace it, I think.

If I was putting anything but water in it I'd probably use the cleaning kit...
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

forester

Post by forester » September 6th, 2012, 6:40 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by forester on November 22nd, 2020, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » September 6th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Good stuff! Perfect way to clean a hydration bladder - lemon juice & baking soda. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

jessbee

Post by jessbee » September 6th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Oh shoot, are you supposed to clean those things?

I probably haven't washed it more than a handful of times in the 3+ years I've owned it. And I take it out almost every weekend. I empty it out after every trip and air dry it.

I also never put anything but water in there.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

Koda

Post by Koda » September 6th, 2012, 10:19 pm

jessbee wrote: I also never put anything but water in there.
this is the key...

I boil some water then pour it right in then close the lid, shake it like crazy, then pinch the bite valve and let it drain. Rinse with cold and stuff a Nalgene dryer (expands the inside) and let it air dry... takes several days.

Its a PITA compared to cheap water bottles. Someone makes a tube and bite valve that screws onto a hard nalgene bottle... my friend has one but I think it was exclusive or no longer made.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2