Hiking Trip Plans

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
forestkeeper

Hiking Trip Plans

Post by forestkeeper » July 19th, 2012, 6:54 am

Hello everyone,
On long day hikes and overnighters, who should we tell about our Trip Plans in case something should happen. If boaters are to leave a Float Plan, is there a "Hiking/ Backcountry/ Backpacking Plan" for us hiking people? Most of my trips to the outdoors are alone, and should an emergency arise, who will know we are missing? I'm single so I don't have a wife or gf to tell where I'll be wandering around in the boonies. ;) Any suggestions to a Hiking Plan on this site, then when we return back to civilization or after the trip is completed, we could just delete our Plan entry? Maybe Lurch could set up something where we could PM prior to leaving and PM again on return. This would be for small and great hikes and anything in between. It would be great for especially long ones such as the PCT.

Thanks,
FK

renegadepilgrim

Re: Hiking Trip Plans

Post by renegadepilgrim » July 21st, 2012, 3:57 pm

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=7&t=8405

Trailnote.com

Check it out...might work for what you want to do.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » July 21st, 2012, 11:00 pm

:) You're definitely awesome! Thanks so much. That really does lift any added stress of enjoying the outdoors alone.

Will

renegadepilgrim

Post by renegadepilgrim » July 22nd, 2012, 9:39 am

No problem...I've used it a few times...you can give as much or as little info as you wish...
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 25th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Anyone on here is more than welcome to shoot me a PM if they're gonna go on some crazy hike. Especially in Multnomah County (Anything out to Eagle Creek). I'm more than willing to toss out my advice, and if by some freak happenstance something *does* happen having a detailed route plan would be invaluable.

Give me enough heads up and I can plot your route out and give you a topo you can print with distance and an elevation profile too ;)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 25th, 2012, 5:38 pm

Lurch wrote:Anyone on here is more than welcome to shoot me a PM if they're gonna go on some crazy hike. Especially in Multnomah County (Anything out to Eagle Creek). I'm more than willing to toss out my advice, and if by some freak happenstance something *does* happen having a detailed route plan would be invaluable.

Give me enough heads up and I can plot your route out and give you a topo you can print with distance and an elevation profile too ;)
Lurch that is awesome!! Does that also apply to something like the B Dam to Timberline Lodge?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 25th, 2012, 6:47 pm

I may get grumpy if you ask me to plot out the whole PCT or something :P but for the most part I'm game. I've tracked out Eagle Creek to Broken Top tracks before, they take a few pages to print

Non-Oregon stuff is harder, and I'll have to pull from other sources. But at the very least I can at least get you Topo's for anywhere in the country, and I can draw a pretty line on them for you they may not get elevation profiles and wont be as accurate as my gorge tracks ;)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 28th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Lurch wrote:I may get grumpy if you ask me to plot out the whole PCT or something :P but for the most part I'm game. I've tracked out Eagle Creek to Broken Top tracks before, they take a few pages to print

Non-Oregon stuff is harder, and I'll have to pull from other sources. But at the very least I can at least get you Topo's for anywhere in the country, and I can draw a pretty line on them for you they may not get elevation profiles and wont be as accurate as my gorge tracks ;)
Ok... I'm not sure how to do this but really thinking about Eagle creek to Timberline or vise versa. So far one other PHer has interest.
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Lurch

Post by Lurch » July 29th, 2012, 10:38 am

Hah, well that's a beast of a hike. Hope you weren't planning on doing it in a single day... Although you Loonies may be able to pull it off.
timber-eagle.png
Map is large, 15 sheets of 8.5x11 paper. PDF is about 18 megs

MAP HERE
(Currently uploading, will be up shortly)

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 29th, 2012, 11:31 am

wow thanks, Lurch! I saved it just to have the info... Going the other way (Eagle Creek to Timberline Lodge) would be awesome too.

Mayhem, you guys planning to do this in one shot? :o
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando