10 Common Poison Oak Myths

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Splintercat

10 Common Poison Oak Myths

Post by Splintercat » May 28th, 2012, 10:04 pm

I don't usually plug my blog here (well, except for in my signature... ahem...), but I posted an article tonight that I figured would be of general interest to most hikers: 10 common myths about poison oak. Here's the link:

WyEast Blog: 10 Common Poison Oak Myths

Makes me kinda itchy writing about it... ;)

-Tom :)

Waffle Stomper

Re: 10 Common Poison Oak Myths

Post by Waffle Stomper » May 28th, 2012, 10:30 pm

A very informative article. I learned a few things, especially since I'm one of those thought to be "immune" to poison oak.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 28th, 2012, 11:39 pm

I'm in the same boat, Waffle -- I'd like to think my perfect track record is a sign from the Gods, but probably not...! :lol:

Here's a weird thing I heard from my dermatologist: if you have experienced eczema (as many fair-skinned people do), you are less likely to react to poison oak exposure. Fascinating! Our immune systems are truly mysterious...!

Tom :)

Chase

Post by Chase » May 29th, 2012, 6:06 am

Yes, a worthwhile read for all! (Made me a little itchy at times... :? )

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » May 29th, 2012, 7:11 am

Nice article. I was just talking to my buddy about poison oak and he also subscribed to the belief that you can be immune and even strengthen that immunity over time through exposure. I don't think he believed me when I contradicted him though so I'll be sending him this one =D.
Hi!

Peder

Post by Peder » May 29th, 2012, 8:19 am

Thank you Tom, that was very informative and I'm sure your words of wisdom will help me steer clear of Poison Oak.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 29th, 2012, 9:37 am

Good writeup! Nothing I would complain about on there :)

#5 has been a hot topic around for a long time. Itching/scratching doesn't spread the rash, although it can seem like it if you haven't thoroughly cleaned and you're actually spreading the oils that cause the rash.

One thing that I've always heard but haven't been able to confirm, or willing to test is that the oils can stay potent on clothing for up to 7 years. I do know that a lot of the cause for the confusion around #5 is that someone may thoroughly wash the areas the skin was exposed, but if they're still wearing the clothing that they waded through the oak in they're still covered in the oils, and that can transfer fairly easily.

Yet another reason *not* to climb in your sleeping bag wearing the clothes you hiked in :shock:

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » May 29th, 2012, 11:29 am

Two topics that leave us itching when we read/talk about them: poison oak and ticks! :lol:

Funny, the mention of mosquitoes doesn't do that to me!

Koda

Post by Koda » May 29th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Great article Tom, but now i have a question. I've always been told to wash with cold water if exposed, that warm water opens the pores more making it easier for the oil to soak in. Is this another myth?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 29th, 2012, 7:34 pm

I didn't find conclusive science on that one, Wayne -- and in fact, there was seemingly contradicting advice: wash with lukewarm water "immediately" then wash with warm soap and water, later. I took that to mean exactly what you've said: that initially, the goal is to wash the oil and urushiol off your skin before it has a chance to penetrate into your pores -- and thus, cold water helps close your pores to prevent that from happening. But if you're washing off in the shower, hours later, you've probably got urushiol in your pores (if you were exposed), and thus would want to open them in order for soap and water to be effective. This is my reasoning, but I wasn't able to find the two pieces of advice from a single source -- so didn't try to address that in the article. Kinda makes sense, though..!
One thing that I've always heard but haven't been able to confirm, or willing to test is that the oils can stay potent on clothing for up to 7 years.
@ Lurch: I found that in several scientific sources -- not the definitive number, but definitely "several". That's why I included the part about burning dead poison oak brush -- I think most of us would assume that a dead poison oak ceases to be toxic (I did, at least!)

-Tom :)