knee pain and good news

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
donaleen

knee pain and good news

Post by donaleen » May 19th, 2012, 10:47 am

I've been having some knee pain going down hill toward the end of my hikes, especially what for me are big hikes. I've been scared of what it might mean. I'd hate to give up hiking and gorge hikes do tend to have elevation gain and loss.

So here is the good news. It seems my pain is coming from the tendons that attach to my knee from my quads. My quads are tight and I didn't know it. They never feel tight. But I am doing some stretches and it is helping a lot.

Just thought it might help someone else, too.

Crusak

Re: knee pain and good news

Post by Crusak » May 19th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Good news! Stretching > Surgery any day. :) Glad to hear it's not gonna keep you off the trail.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

seemore

Post by seemore » May 19th, 2012, 10:03 pm

As one who has had the same problem I'll definitely start quad stretches. Thanks for posting and glad to hear it is helping you.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 28th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Donaleen, I have a similar struggle: I spend WAY too much time sitting on my butt during the workweek, and typically over the winter, I start to develop tender hamstrings, with resulting swelling/weakness in my knees as a result. If I put on a couple of compression supports for a day or two, it clears up. But it's definitely the sitting that causes it, and especially after I've been very active. The first time I noticed was after a long Mount Hood hike, and my knees just froze up on the drive home -- didn't notice until I tried to get out of the car!

I'm doing better managing it, but am not looking forward to another ten years of working in the office, when I know that's a big part of the problem. I've worked out all kinds of ways to stay on my feet when I can, but my typical day includes wall-to-wall meetings, and I'm often leading them -- which I've not attempted from a standing position..! :lol: But if I'm simply a participant, I'll often stand up behind my chair.

Somebody said this recently on NPR, and it really resonated with me: "Sitting is the worst thing you can do for your body." Yup.

-Tom

Patrice Garcia

Post by Patrice Garcia » August 27th, 2012, 8:43 am

Knee joint pain prognosis techniques can be conveniently comprehended when you recognize your knee-joint anatomy in depth. This information can be helpful to understand the fundamental reasons behind the injuries which you may get, or why you may be vulnerable to confront wounds someday in your lifetime. For the purpose of locomotion, there are several bone fragments active in the running of the knee-joint. Your doctor should explain all of these for proper diagnosis of your leg suffering and outside of knee pain.