Water treatment

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
turtle

Water treatment

Post by turtle » May 7th, 2012, 8:27 pm

As near as I can recall it was sometime last year that I remember actually using chemicals or filtering water. Without planning it I have just about completely quit treating water. I use due diligence on choosing water sources and scoop and enjoy; even in the Gorge. East Fork Herman Creek was scoop without a second thought. On Benson Plateau snow camp I was standing on the four feet of snow that was feeding Ruckel Creek. In Alpine areas I don't bother with chemicals or filter. On day hikes I carry water from home so it is not an issue.

About ten years ago, still using chemicals, I had a mild case of Giardia-truly wretched gas, slight diarrhea-but that was it. One other occasion years ago I got water from a lake and spent a day on the toilet when I got home. As far as recently; no discernible ill effects. I religiously use hand sanitizer after pooping, especially when hiking with other people.

I'm not advocating any particular behavior, it's just something I have noticed lately. As always, YMMV.
Summer breezes caressed me, my legs stepped forward as though possessed of their own appetite, and the mountains kept promising. Rebecca Solnit

renegadepilgrim

Re: Water treatment

Post by renegadepilgrim » May 16th, 2012, 6:03 pm

One of the guys I did the WCT with this past week used a couple drops of bleach in his water. I used my Steripen a few times. The rest of the time, we used the other guys water filter. We did have concerns about water quality, especially considering some of our water sources were tidal, so we had to be careful.

I still like my Steripen....lightweight, reliable, and batteries last forever if you use lithium ones.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 16th, 2012, 8:03 pm

I just bought the Steripen package that Costco is selling - less than $50 and comes with a water bottle. I plan to test it out this week.

As for treating or not treating, I always opt for water filters over chemicals, but I've also carried both chlorine and iodine treatment as backup to the filter, in case of mechanical failure. haha sort of like carrying map & compass, in case of GPS failure. :D
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Koda

Post by Koda » May 17th, 2012, 8:39 am

I thought Chemical treatment was 100% effective in treating Giardia?
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 17th, 2012, 9:20 am

Not so effective if you're on the move, but if you're down for the night than I would lean towards simple boiling. It will kill giardia and just about everything else you'd need to worry about. Cheap, easy (depending on the season) and infinitely repeatable so long as you have an appropriate container..

I'm still not convinced on the steripens

R11

Post by R11 » May 17th, 2012, 2:16 pm

I continue to carry a filter when I backpack, but I have only used it at one camp in the last 4-5 years that I remember. The only reason I still carry it is for those rare times when I might find that I need to get water from a stagnant or sketchy source. When I was a kid when we went out nobody ever filtered water. Then it became chic and everybody began doing it and filters that were somewhat light weight/affordable became available so I did as well. Over time I just decided it was way overblown and marketing driven and decided it was not really necessary. I've never had any issues from drinking water in 45 years or so of hiking/packing.

ron

Koda

Post by Koda » May 17th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Lurch wrote:Not so effective if you're on the move....
not "effective" out of convenience, of because chemical treatment does not always kill Giardia?

I'm not convinced of the Steripens either.... but the idea is pretty cool and simple.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Lurch

Post by Lurch » May 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Koda wrote:
Lurch wrote:Not so effective if you're on the move....
not "effective" out of convenience, of because chemical treatment does not always kill Giardia?

I'm not convinced of the Steripens either.... but the idea is pretty cool and simple.
Mostly out of convenience, it takes time, and you can't do it on the move. But it is one of the most effective. Personally I'd probably build a fire rather than stove it, but that's just personal preference and not all that feasible for most people.

I believe chemicals will do alright with Giardia, they're a wee bit iffier with Cryptosporidium though. They also taste terrible IMO.

Filters are alright if they're fine enough, and they'll get rid of sediment and other grarbage that's in there too. I pack a filter if I'm out for a long one

potato

Post by potato » May 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I think I might start drinking more untreated water. I've done it a couple times now and it's not as scary. I guess humans have risked drinking beaver-pee water for thousands of years, it's not that weird if I do it too. :D

I saw an article recently about physicists finding an easy way to make LEDs that emit the type of ultraviolet light required to purify water... LEDs being more power efficient and therefore not demanding as much battery power and volume/weight. Wonder how that will impact Steripen someday.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

romann

Post by romann » May 18th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I've been drinking untreated water in the Gorge for couple of summers and didn't have any ill effects. Now I got a filter as a precaution; I use it only during backpacking trips and take bottled water for dayhikes. Before I got the filter, always chose water from the streams (not necessarily near the source), bogs/lakes have been a big taboo for me. With a filter, I just get water from any handy source.