Packing Heat?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
renegadepilgrim

Re: Packing Heat?

Post by renegadepilgrim » June 15th, 2012, 3:14 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:Most of us don't shoot regularly. The Clackamas County Sheriff has a nifty shooting range and offers some great courses. Check out http://www.clackamas.us/sheriff/clinics.jsp
That's where I go...and they have ladies night every friday with half off the range fee! I'm hoping to take some of the classes offered this coming year.
Travel and Outdoor Adventure Website: http://www.renegadepilgrim.com
Instagram/Tumblr/Twitter: renegadepilgrim

Falcon

Post by Falcon » June 26th, 2012, 10:50 am

There are pros and cons to any piece of equipment you carry with you while hiking/backpacking. When I go anywhere there will not be a fast police responce in case my life or anyone else around me is in danger, I bring a gun. Just like I bring a first aid kit too, even though I've never had to really use it (except a band aid here and there). I have the opinion that it is better to have something your life could depend on and not need it than to need it and not have it.

With that being said, I have been hiking and backpacking for over 20 years and have never had an encounter with wildlife or people where I felt my life was in danger. Guns are heavy! Maybe some bear spray would be a better (and lighter) option. You could always spray an angry meth head or an attacking dog with it too. :) If you aren't comfortable with a gun or haven't practiced enough to use it effectively if you had to, maybe it would be better to go with a less lethal means of personal protection.

The other factor of how other people feel about it on the trail should be irrelevant. Although you don't want to act in a way to make others feel threatened by you, you also shouldn't base your personal safety on how others feel about firearms. Whatever you decide to do, the best thing you can do for your own safety is to have good situational awareness. Avoiding unneccessary confrontations with wildlife or people is your first line of defense and can be done simply by paying attention to what is around you.

Happy Hiking!

mayhem

Post by mayhem » September 13th, 2012, 10:45 pm

I always wonder why if the data shows that carrying a weapon makes you more likely to be killed by it, why do the police carry one?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » September 14th, 2012, 6:01 am

mayhem wrote:I always wonder why if the data shows that carrying a weapon makes you more likely to be killed by it, why do the police carry one?
They're trained to keep it and defend themselves, with the gun and without it. Many people think that just having a gun will give them the motivation they need to use it - and use it effectively. But if you hesitate or freeze up, then chances are it will get taken away from you or nullified in some other way (like getting shot first).
Hi!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 14th, 2012, 6:08 am

Maybe police shouldn't carry guns?

Dustin DuBois

Post by Dustin DuBois » September 14th, 2012, 6:11 am

retired jerry wrote:Maybe police shouldn't carry guns?
Only when you can find a way to keep the criminals from having them =D. I don't see a club-and-whistle as a good alternative.

Although, they could get creative. Mace paintballs, longer-range tasers (maybe without wires?), shotguns with sand bags, etc. The stuff they use for riots could be improved and turned into a replacement.. but until criminals don't have guns those cops would be sitting ducks.
Hi!

Lurch

Post by Lurch » September 14th, 2012, 7:26 am

I wouldn't take guns away from LEO's, nor would I take them away from the average citizen. I'd love to take them from criminals though :)

There's a reason law enforcement *does* carry a whole boatload of less lethal tools on their batman utility belt. Taser, ASP, and OC, would be the most common. There are clear lines for use of force, and there are certainly times where I wouldn't be leaning on pepperspray if a gun was called for.

Dustin if you're curious about a "longer range / wireless taser" then check out the XREP

Koda

Post by Koda » September 14th, 2012, 2:40 pm

with regards to protection from animals, specifically grizzly bears, here is an interesting article supporting bear spray vs guns as the best survival rate outdoors: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42173184/Survival%20Spray.pdf
basically bear spray was 90% effective, handguns 84%, long guns 76% (interesting), but 56% of firearm users were still injured or killed by the bear.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » September 15th, 2012, 4:35 pm

Koda wrote:56% of firearm users were still injured or killed by the bear.
Wow. This stat reminds me of the stories Lewis & Clark wrote of their Grizzly encounters.

“This bear being so hard to die reather intimedates us all; I must confess that I do not like the gentlemen and had reather fight two Indians than one bear; there is no other chance to conquer them by a single shot but by shooting them through the brains… ”

More bear adventures here:
http://franceshunter.wordpress.com/2010 ... zzly-bear/
Karl
Back on the trail, again...