Packing Heat?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
hlee

Packing Heat?

Post by hlee » April 27th, 2012, 5:03 am

My family would like to do more backpacking beyond campgrounds, and I'm just curious. How many, if any, of you take a gun with you when backpacking in the wild for multiple days?

I know that for wild animals, there are other deterrents you can use, though you're unlikely to ever need such a thing.

I don't know anything about how kosher that is. It's not something I want to do, and I know you need licenses and classes obviously to own a gun, and I don't know that I'd feel comfortable even having one haha. But part of me is think of worst-case scenario, getting-campsite-jumped-in-the-middle-of-the-night-by-psychotic-serial-killer type thing. It sounds dumb I know.

Just curious what everyone's opinion/preference is. Or are there other things you take for personal security? What is the hiking community's feeling on such a thing, generally speaking? Is it considered not OK, or what? I know Oregon stereotypically isn't the most gun-friendly state.

Crusak

Re: Packing Heat?

Post by Crusak » April 27th, 2012, 5:22 am

It's a tough choice sometimes, deciding whether or not to bring a gun with you when you're hiking, especially if there are family members coming along.

I'd suggest that you first start with having a conversation with the Columbia County Sheriff's Office Concealed Handgun Unit (I see by your profile that you life in St Helens)
http://www.co.columbia.or.us/sheriff/in ... &Itemid=53

To own a gun you are not required to take classes. We have a right and privilege to own a gun in this country (as long as you're not a felon, and not under 21 yrs old for handguns). As for carrying concealed, you need an Oregon Concealed Handgun License to do so. Check the link above for information on obtaining that.

I'd suggest that if you're not familiar with handguns that you should consider going to a shooting range in your area, maybe taking some lessons and trying (renting) different handguns. Once you decide whether or not you want to purchase a handgun then at that point you'll be ready to make a more informed choice.

Actually carrying it with you is quite another thing. They're heavy. And having your gun with you can bring another whole set of responsibilities (stating the obvious I am)

My wife made a deal with me: If I want to solo hike, I'm taking a firearm with me. But I've own and shot guns since I was 8 yrs old, and I'm very comfortable with them. And I would never do anything to cause public alarm or make people feel uncomfortable. I rarely carry out in the open when I'm hiking, just because I don't want to alarm people who are not used to seeing a gun.

Good luck! Check out that link above and find out if it's something you are interested in.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » April 27th, 2012, 5:47 am

It's heavy and expensive.

There's a small risk of an animal or person hurting you that you could have prevented with a firearm.

Bigger risk someone could be hurt with firearm that you didn't intend?

I've encountered people with firearms a few times. Makes me a bit nervous but they ended up being friendly.

Target shooting is sort of fun.

hlee

Post by hlee » April 27th, 2012, 6:26 am

Thanks for the valuable info!! These are excellent points, and I agree with a lot of the concerns. I didn't want to start a topic that sounded really ignorant or start a debate.

I would definitely take some classes if I ever decided to hike with a firearm. And I doubt I'd ever need it. And the person I normally hike with is very scared of guns, so another strike against it.

I guess my concern was... if I went backpacking in the wilderness and DIDN'T have some kind of weapon, would that be a huge rookie mistake on my part? But it sounds like many people don't hike with guns, so I wouldn't feel like an idiot.

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 27th, 2012, 6:48 am

I think the need for a gun in most areas of Oregon and Washington is rather small. We don't have Grizzlies around our wilderness areas. More dangerous are the two-legged types, and you'd be less likely to encounter people problems in the wilderness than you would in downtown Portland. In some ways backpacking may be a safer recreation choice than going to a concert. :)

A cell phone is probably the #1 best thing to have with you. If you can get a signal. And hiking with other people, in case someone rolls an ankle, etc. it's nice to have friends around. I do a ton of solo hiking for... well, I'm not sure why actually. :lol:
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 27th, 2012, 8:01 am

This is always a touchy subject on this forum. Whatever your decision, remember to take classes in gun handling and practice often.

BTW what a great avatar, please add him or her to the thread, Dogs of Portland Hikers.

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=7&t=9097
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

hlee

Post by hlee » April 27th, 2012, 8:56 am

Yeah, I definitely didn't want to start a flamewar or anything. Was just honestly curious if a lot of people do or don't.

lol, I shall do so right now!

Hannah

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.
-- T.S. Eliot

forestkeeper

Post by forestkeeper » April 27th, 2012, 9:22 am

You can always carry mace, pepper spray, or a typical bear retardant that you can buy at most outdoor stores. This would be useful against other critters as well as human predators. You can carry a good knife as well. I used to open carry (hip holster) a .357 revolver when in backcountry, but stopped due to the extra weight. Either wear a small bell on one of your boots or just sing to make others aware of your presence. In the 30 years of hiking, I've never had to use my handgun. :) Concerning your comment on Oregon not being gun friendly, I live in rural Oregon, and every one of my friends and neighbors have at least two or more guns in possession. Quite a few have five or more. You just have to travel outside the city limits to find gun friendly people. ;)

forester

Post by forester » April 27th, 2012, 9:53 am

I had this internal debate with myself a while back after being stalked by a cougar. I ended up deciding against carrying for a few reasons.

First, unless something crazy happens, like surprising a bear at very close range, you really don't have anything to fear from the local wildlife. Worst thing that the local fauna has done is stinging in the face by bees after I inadvertently stepped on their nest. In the rare, rare case that you stumble into a mother bear and cubs, it's going to happen so fast and at such a close range that a gun wouldn't really do much good.

Cougars don't really attack people and bears are pretty timid. From what I understand, the last fatal cougar attack in Oregon was while Ulysses S. Grant was president. Even if a cougar did attack, they're so stealthy, you wouldn't have much of a chance getting a shot off. And bears, say it attacks and comes charging at you from a distance. They run so fast that you're going to get one, maybe two shots off before it's on top of you. Really, what are the chances you're going to hit it to the point where it stops compared to the chances of hitting it and ticking it off more?

The only two things I'm ever concerned about are tweakers and pitbulls. (had to deal with both last trip)

I decided to only carry a can of bear spray (though I will carry a hidden but easily accessible kukri from time to time - see above sentence). If you stay focused and use your head, the "vicious" animals aren't any more of a problem than deer are. Guns end up giving the carrier a false sense of security. There is no magic bullet for safety anywhere, the woods included. Use your head, you'll probably be okay.

hlee

Post by hlee » April 27th, 2012, 1:24 pm

ForestKeeper, good point! (Well, all of them, really.) I can't believe I just did that super annoying thing of classifying all of Oregon by the stereotypes of Portland! My bad.

It's really good to hear experienced hikers echoing the thoughts that I've had about carrying a gun. Thanks for all the feedback. It's all very sensible.

Hannah

-- T.S. Eliot