Packing Heat?

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Koda

Re: Packing Heat?

Post by Koda » April 29th, 2012, 10:18 am

Lurch wrote: Now when it comes to personal defense, and keeping my guns unloaded and locked at home.. that I personally have an issue with, but I do it for the time being until I can afford a better solution.
I've put some thought into this one myself and overall agree with you. Everyone has different needs etc. and I don't imply that anything should be stored a specific way, just that you should always have the option for a total firearm lockout available. Be it a safe, trigger lock etc. there are options.

For me, I live in a pretty safe neighborhood so I keep mine locked in the safe at all times even at night. I used to keep the safe open at night, but discovered I once forgot to lock it the next morning... so I restricted myself from that... and I have a 9yr old. So I made a crude flag on a stand, ugly on purpose... about 12" tall. When the safe is open I place the flag out in a conspicuous place... you can't miss it. The so far has been the best idea especially since the safe is used for other items as well. (not to publicly disclose all this but its pretty obvious what a safe is for...).
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 29th, 2012, 7:24 pm

I've done things to help me remember to lock a gun up, like putting the trigger lock for the pistol I just got out in a very conspicuous place, so I would be certain to see it, and secure the pistol before leaving the house.

I have a friend who does something similar. He keeps a gun beside the bed at night, in his nightstand, and puts the trigger lock on top of his wallet. That way in the morning when he grabs his wallet and keys he will not forget to get the gun from the nightstand and put it in the safe. He lives in a not-so-nice part of Portland.

Biggest thing that always tips me in the direction of 'to carry or not to carry' is this: I don't want to be in a circumstance where I say to myself, "I wish I would have been packing heat." I'm normally a responsible person who keeps a cool head and a cell phone handy. I've heard some people say that a firearm is a last resort tool. And I think in most cases it should be.

I like to follow Gandalf's advice - "keep it secret, keep it safe" :) (at this point I am strongly resisting the urge to post that silly picture of Gandalf brandishing an AK47)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Pnw.hiker

Post by Pnw.hiker » April 29th, 2012, 10:33 pm

hlee wrote: ... Just curious what everyone's opinion/preference is. Or are there other things you take for personal security? ...
-I don't have a problem with guns - grew up with them but my kids didn't.
-For 'personal security', the farther you get from the trail head, the safer it is.
-I'm big and old and mean looking - nobody bothers me. If I were a young lady I'd be more inclined to pack heat.

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » June 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm

hlee wrote: I guess my concern was... if I went backpacking in the wilderness and DIDN'T have some kind of weapon, would that be a huge rookie mistake on my part?
The really really really short answer is: no.

Take a map and compass and leave an itinerary of where you're going, and you'll have the most common "rookie mistakes" solved.
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 14th, 2012, 5:27 am

Most of us don't shoot regularly. The Clackamas County Sheriff has a nifty shooting range and offers some great courses. Check out http://www.clackamas.us/sheriff/clinics.jsp
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

raven

Post by raven » June 14th, 2012, 5:35 am

Waffle, Google "dervin" and you'll find a links including

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensemaking

and

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Dervin

It's a fraud, whether intended as a prank or research.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » June 14th, 2012, 5:54 am

Interesting links Raven

I wonder what "Dervin" is up to

And what is Sensemaking? Kind of confusing

Probably will just append some links to "her" signature at some point?

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 14th, 2012, 6:12 am

My link is not in reply to derwin, if that makes sense. :lol:

It is in context of the entire thread for those who might be seriously considering carrying a handgun.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

raven

Post by raven » June 14th, 2012, 9:09 am

Sorry WS, I thought you were responding to dervin by trying being helpful. dervin was the signature attached to a robot's post designed poorly that was posted just before your last post. The purpose of the post was to sound like it was written by a human with some limited intelligence. The moderators removed that post.

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » June 14th, 2012, 12:08 pm

No problem. Just confused ;) me. Easily done.