Blister-proof tip for your hiking boots/shoes..!

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Splintercat

Blister-proof tip for your hiking boots/shoes..!

Post by Splintercat » April 4th, 2012, 7:19 am

Okay, I'll get this new forum started: I have NEVER had a blister on my feet in 45+ years of hiking and backpacking. Here's the tip that I learned way back when, and I think it's as important as picking the right boots, kind of socks, etc.

1. Put your boots on at home, and tie them as tight as reasonable, but with a single bow-knot. This allows the heat of your feet to stretch and conform your boots on the way to the trailhead -- and has the added benefit of not letting you forget your boots at home!

2. Once at the trailhead, re-tie your stretched, warmed-up boots, again as tightly as reasonable, but snugly - not tight. You'll be surprised at how loose they've become on the drive! Do this with your foot at a 90-degree angle to your shins, and the soles of your boots flat on a hard surface. The back bumper works, or a rock, or whatever. Do NOT kneel down to re-tie your boot, as your shin will be pushed forward, and result in a loose fit.

3. Tie the knot in a double-knot, which will likely last the entire day, and not require you re-tie your boots on the trail, where you are likely to tie them TOO tightly.

In my experience, using this method to ensure a snug (but not tight) fit when you actually hit the trail removes most of the friction motion that leads to blisters -- especially on the back of your heels.

I have no advice for people who hike in those goofy slipper thingies with toes, however....

-Tom :D

Waffle Stomper

Re: Blister-proof tip for your hiking boots/shoes..!

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 4th, 2012, 10:13 am

I do the same with my boots, but wonder if it still works with boots made with synthetic materials.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » April 4th, 2012, 11:35 am

Good point, Waffle -- so, this works for leather or synthetic, or combinations of the above for me. I suspect any material expands with heat, so even synthetic stretches in that first hour or so, too.

Tom

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 4th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Another thing that I learned after running through finding the perfect boot, I like to walk around in the store with it for at least a half an hour and I like to use the slope simulator to make sure my toes aren't jamming or heels slipping. I found that little discomforts show up during that time and if they are present then, they are not going away.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Lurch

Post by Lurch » April 4th, 2012, 12:40 pm

I know most of you guys use smaller light weight shoes to hike with so this may not be of any benifit. But I've taken to adding an overhand knot in my laces (where the arrow is) before the grommets/hooks that go up the boot.
38983410-260x260-0-0_Danner+Danner+Boots+Quarry+2+Waterproof+Work+Boots.jpg
38983410-260x260-0-0_Danner+Danner+Boots+Quarry+2+Waterproof+Work+Boots.jpg (11.29 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
It acts as an anchor of sorts, and you can put different tension levels between your foot and you ankle if you need. It also helps hold my heel in place since that's really the pivotal lace placement for keeping the heel planted and keeping your foot from sliding within the boot (just in case your boots don't fit perfect). It also keeps you from a catastrophic failure if your laces break or do come untied for whatever reason!

Koda

Post by Koda » April 4th, 2012, 3:46 pm

...always try on your boots wearing a thin pair of socks.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 4th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Keeping feet happy on the trail can be challenging. Moisture, poor fit (or poor lacing! :) ) can cause problems.

I have a challenge to deal with that most of you may not - really serious circulation issues in both legs that require wearing compression socks. :( And those aren't exactly the friendliest things for my feet and lower legs. They're nylon, over-the-calf style socks. That's better than cotton, but they're too thin for hiking. And they're the heaviest compression available (30-40 mmhg) short of custom prescription socks.

I had several foot/blister issues over the years since being forced to wear those special socks. But thanks to mayhem I found a solution! I wear a thin pair of ankle high Wright Socks over the compression socks. And I lather my toes, ankles and bottom of my feet with Hydropel Sports ointment, which was suggested to me by another PH member (whose name escapes me at the moment - thank you, unnamed person!)

I also tried several pairs of boots before figuring out which worked best for me. And if previous discussions about boots are any indication, boot choices are as individual as each of us are. :)

Not a single issue with my feet since I started using that combo.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Grannyhiker

Post by Grannyhiker » April 4th, 2012, 6:44 pm

I've had no blisters (knock on wood!) since I switched from Goretex lined boots to breathable trail runners. Merino wool (rather than synthetic) socks help, too. So does either Body Glide or Hydropel!

The problem with Goretex is that it provides a sauna for your feet, especially in warm weather. And once the liners get wet inside (such as water over the top of the boots), they can take days to dry. With the trail runners, I can wade through a ford and my feet will be reasonably dry in an hour or so.

The most important thing is that the shoes fit your feet. Some room for expansion (to allow for swelling as the day goes on) is a good idea, but not so much that your feet slop around.

I almost always take my shoes and socks off at lunch to let my feet air out. It really refreshes the feet for the afternoon slog!

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » April 5th, 2012, 5:22 am

On new shoes and boots I sometimes get a few hot spots, nothing major. If I get something
that doesn't go away then I return the apparel for sure.
Grannyhiker wrote:
The problem with Goretex is that it provides a sauna for your feet, especially in warm weather.
Again, I've personally never had any issues with Goretex lined shoes or boots doing anything
sauna wise! Only have had water come in over the top which caused some wetness. Even
in summer I prefer my GTX shoes to keep the dry dirt out! I guess I'm lucky and my feet don't
over heat like some folks! :)

Splinter, I also like to drive to the TH with my boots/shoes on, sometimes I even show
up with all my winter Eskimo suit on too!!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » April 5th, 2012, 6:46 am

Eric Peterson wrote:On new shoes and boots I sometimes get a few hot spots, nothing major. If I get something
that doesn't go away then I return the apparel for sure.
Grannyhiker wrote:
The problem with Goretex is that it provides a sauna for your feet, especially in warm weather.
Again, I've personally never had any issues with Goretex lined shoes or boots doing anything
sauna wise! Only have had water come in over the top which caused some wetness. Even
in summer I prefer my GTX shoes to keep the dry dirt out! I guess I'm lucky and my feet don't
over heat like some folks! :)

Splinter, I also like to drive to the TH with my boots/shoes on, sometimes I even show
up with all my winter Eskimo suit on too!!
My issues with Goretex ended when I quit wearing heavy wool socks. No more excess moisture buildup. For years I thought that if I was hiking, I needed to wear smartwool. But for me I do so much better, even in sub-freezing temps, with Wright Socks. I'm loving my Vasque Breeze GTX boots. They keep my feet dry, but are light enough to let me go the distance.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando