Blister-proof tip for your hiking boots/shoes..!

Share your tips for safe hiking, surviving in the wild and managing hiking injuries!
Helen

Re: Blister-proof tip for your hiking boots/shoes..!

Post by Helen » April 10th, 2012, 6:27 pm

I use to get blisters on the bottom of my little toes (even when wearing running shoes). I started using vasoline on all my toes now and haven't had a blister since. I typically walk to work and back (3 miles each way). A few weeks ago I forgot to put the vasoline on and sure enough I had a blister by the time I got to work.

I bought some hydropel but didn't see any advantage to using it.

When backpacking I can also use the vasoline as a fire starter.

Roy

Post by Roy » April 10th, 2012, 7:37 pm

Splintercat wrote:Okay, I'll get this new forum started: I have NEVER had a blister on my feet in 45+ years of hiking and backpacking. Here's the tip that I learned way back when, and I think it's as important as picking the right boots, kind of socks, etc.

1. Put your boots on at home, and tie them as tight as reasonable, but with a single bow-knot. This allows the heat of your feet to stretch and conform your boots on the way to the trailhead -- and has the added benefit of not letting you forget your boots at home!

2. Once at the trailhead, re-tie your stretched, warmed-up boots, again as tightly as reasonable, but snugly - not tight. You'll be surprised at how loose they've become on the drive! Do this with your foot at a 90-degree angle to your shins, and the soles of your boots flat on a hard surface. The back bumper works, or a rock, or whatever. Do NOT kneel down to re-tie your boot, as your shin will be pushed forward, and result in a loose fit.

3. Tie the knot in a double-knot, which will likely last the entire day, and not require you re-tie your boots on the trail, where you are likely to tie them TOO tightly.

In my experience, using this method to ensure a snug (but not tight) fit when you actually hit the trail removes most of the friction motion that leads to blisters -- especially on the back of your heels.

I have no advice for people who hike in those goofy slipper thingies with toes, however....

-Tom :D
funny i always put my boots or runners on before i get in the car use the double knot on boots to. i over the years was told and herd any new boot should not give you any trouble when you first use if it does your doomed for the life of the boot.

yet on this site a lot of people say yea they were bad at first now there broke in or are you just used to the discomfort? When i buy new shoes or runners i don't buy them if they feel bad walking around store why treat boots different.i try on boots walk all around the store try to find stairs and do several up and downs even ask if i can go out and walk a few blocks. offer them my id and wallet till i return .REI has never turned me down. if they fit i buy them and there fine until they are done.

I wish i could take credit for this method but it was passed on to me.

as far as wet feet i do not know how many miles i have traveled in soaked boots it does not ever bother me.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

potato

Post by potato » April 11th, 2012, 11:56 pm

It's really interesting how everyone has a different idea of what makes their feet the happiest :D !

Roy, that is a pretty interesting theory, about basing your purchase on the initial feel of the boot. I guess I mostly agree that the best boot for your foot will feel good from the beginning. That is how I bought my last 2 boots/shoes and they've both worked out rather well for me. (Well, I didn't ask to go outside, but wore them around the store and especially on the artificial slope thing.)

Helen, that is interesting. I have never put vasoline on my toes before... does it just reduce friction?
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Helen

Post by Helen » April 19th, 2012, 5:49 pm

theradpotato wrote: I have never put vasoline on my toes before... does it just reduce friction?
Yes, and it keeps moisture off your skin. It really works for me.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 20th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark » August 29th, 2012, 7:53 pm

I use a thin inner sock-usually a rayon or silk blend dress sock and put some talc or cornstarch in it, over this goes a regular sock - usually a wool blend - even in summer - I douse the boots with the same powder - If it's a really steep and hot route I also take my shoes off if I stop for 10 minutes or more - maybe 2 or 3 times during a long day.
Joy in the universe, and keen curiosity about it all - that has been my religion.
- John Burroughs