shroom experts?

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
drm

shroom experts?

Post by drm » September 23rd, 2008, 11:37 am

On the trip to Observation Peak I just did a trip report on, I took the Big Hollow trail. In its first half mile, there were many mushrooms, a large variety of types. Here's one in particular. It looked so good, I brought it home when I came down. Can anybody tell me what it is? Can I cook it up?

The big one is about 5 inches across the cap.
red shrooms.jpg
shrooms

cfm

Re: shroom experts?

Post by cfm » September 23rd, 2008, 3:31 pm

I'm not an expert, but I did take a mycology class a few years ago.

That looks like one of the Russula species. I think that most are considered inedible. One of the characteristics of that genus that I learned is you can snap the stem like a piece of chalk.

I dont recommend collecting and eating any type of mushroom unless you are positive about the ID. Luckily most of the common edible mushrooms around here are pretty distinctive and easy to identify. Now is the time for lobsters and chanterelles- I've already collected some on labor day oin on the Lewis river trail.

These are easy to identify edibles you may see on your next hike:

Lobster:
Chanterelles:
Cauliflower:
Hedgehogs ( appear late fall):

Happy hunting!

Martell

Post by Martell » September 23rd, 2008, 4:10 pm

This reminds me, I gotta bug my dad to go up and get some Chantrelles. He has this secret spot, but I think it is still a bit early. We talked about getting some lobsters this year too, but we have been cautious in the past about picking new types. Maybe I can post a pic on here for verification :)
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

ElphabaNorthWest

Post by ElphabaNorthWest » September 24th, 2008, 3:33 pm

I have been interested in mushroom picking, but I really would like to go on a mushroom id hike first. Does anyone know of any this fall?

Martell

Post by Martell » September 24th, 2008, 3:36 pm

I don't know of any, but Chanterelles are hard to mistake for other mushrooms. There is a false chanterelle, but the gills are different. I also don't think false chanterelles will kill you if you eat them. You could take them all home and carefully go through them to make sure you have them identified properly.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Martell

Post by Martell » September 29th, 2008, 2:03 pm

I was just reading about Jack O'Lantern mushrooms. Do we have those out here? Apparently they are bio-luminescent, and you can see them when your eye develops night vision.
-Dan
Site Tech Helper

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » September 30th, 2008, 8:04 am

ElphabaNorthWest wrote:I have been interested in mushroom picking, but I really would like to go on a mushroom id hike first. Does anyone know of any this fall?
You might check out the Oregon Mycological Society http://www.wildmushrooms.org/
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir