They turned me into a newt!

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
teachpdx

Re: They turned me into a newt!

Post by teachpdx » July 20th, 2023, 6:11 am

pinecone wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 5:38 pm
Once during a very long and warm exploration of Roaring River Wilderness, I scrambled up to the tiny upper Rock Lake, stripped down and jumped in to cool off. Then I found myself slowly being surrounded by a pack? pod? squadron? assembly? of newts who casually floated up to investigate me. I suppose none of them decided to send any toxins my way, though they did come nearly up to touching me. I believe they had accepted me as one of their own.
Ooh, Upper Rock Lake.
I also have never seen more newts in one place than Upper Rock Lake.
(Middle) Rock Lake still had a lot, as well. But not quite as many.
instagram: @remyodyssey

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 20th, 2023, 6:25 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 10:55 am
be careful, rough skinned newts are toxic. Some drunk guy ate one a while ago and died.
I assume you didn't eat it since you were able to post. The ancient yarns go that old timey loggers, miners, and trappers would dip a kettle in a lake after dark and inadvertently brew up a concoction of newt. Their stiffened, crow-pecked corpses were found by visitors a few days later.
pinecone wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 5:38 pm
I found myself slowly being surrounded by a pack? pod? squadron? assembly? of newts
The correct collective term is "armada." Think on these things and quake in your hiking boots.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » July 20th, 2023, 7:53 pm

Several years ago I used to volunteer at the Tualitin Hills Nature Park during my lunch breaks from work. I would run the trails and answer questions for other people. I also would move newts off the trail. My record for one run was 35. Modtly they came out during heavy rains. Hope I kept at least a few from being squished. Sometimes it looked like they were smiling when I picked them up. I know this was only my imagination.....
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

roadcykler

Post by roadcykler » July 20th, 2023, 7:57 pm

Born2BBrad wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 10:55 am
Not to sound like someone's mother, but be careful, rough skinned newts are toxic. Some drunk guy ate one a while ago and died.
After I got home and identified it, I read that they can produce a neurotoxin if they feel threatened and it's a milky white color. I didn't see anything like that and guessed it was so cold that maybe it couldn't produce it. Good to know for future reference.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 21st, 2023, 5:25 am

maybe you should nicely pick up the newt, pet it and reassure it, then quickly eat it before it feels threatened and releases the neurotoxin?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 21st, 2023, 6:18 pm

Jerry has a dark side! :o

Aimless

Post by Aimless » July 25th, 2023, 9:46 am

It ain't fer nothing that newsies call summer "the silly season"! :D