Strange night call

The purpose of this forum is to help people identify things they've seen while out hiking: wildflowers, trees, birds, insects, small animals, animal tracks, even geographical features like buttes or streams
Stevewoods

Strange night call

Post by Stevewoods » April 27th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Live on a 25-acre tree farm with 30-year-old Doug fir.
Last couple of nights around 4 a.m. my 115 pound dogs have insisted on going .out and then immediately bark crazy-like and dash into the woods. I hear some sort cry/call that sounds like a Stellar jay, but, of course, is not.

I am in the Oregon Coast range between Corvallis and Newport around 900 feet. Ee have at least two shy black bears on the "farm" and cougars, bobcats, elk, etal are also around.

When I finally corral the mutts they seem quite happy.

Any thoughts or apps? I use Metlin from Cornell, but that is just birds and am pretty sure it is not birds.

Coons? Bobcats?

retired jerry

Re: Strange night call

Post by retired jerry » April 27th, 2023, 2:22 pm

coyotes? I have heard them at night.

Stevewoods

Post by Stevewoods » April 27th, 2023, 2:31 pm

Yeah, lots of coyotes and each night this has happened I have heard coyotes off in the distance, but I have been here nearly 40 years and never heard this before.

Oh, excuse my typos, getting used to posting via cell phone...and the Cornell app I misspelled is Merlin.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 1st, 2023, 10:27 pm

Bobcats sound more like jays than cougars - also the fact that your dogs ran towards it rather than away. Both cats have several calls, however.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 2nd, 2023, 4:55 am

bobcats are very smart and can post on the internet :)